BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tomorrow is the big day. I finally have my shocks back and can start to put the bike back together!
This may not sound like a big deal to some here as there are so many of you who have no fear of taking apart a perfectly functioning piece of machinery just for fun.But for me, this was a major leap of faith.
Not that I'm a bad mechanic, I'm just not a good mechanic and have never attempted anything of this magnitude before.
I found a local shop who said he could rebuild the OEM shocks, (more on this later), so as you know ,this involves removing the fuel tank.While I was at it I stripped all of the plastic including the nose cone. The dis-assembly went well, with all of the fasteners stuck into a piece of cardboard with an outline of the parts they came off of.
I've also followed the fork seal thread here and dropped the fork lowers to replace the seals.
So far work includes : removing, cleaning, lubing shift linkage, coolant change, brake flush, clutch flush,air filter,fuel filter, HID headlamp install,fuel line quick disconnects,grip puppies, new windshield,front brake pads, and shock rebuild!
Although the hard part is about to begin, (and success is by no means assured), I will gladly accept any and all pats on the back as a confidence and moral booster for the work ahead.(lol)
Now for the shocks. Remember, I haven't tried them out yet, so my opinion may change after I get a chance put on a few miles solo and two up.
The rear looks like it is going to be good. He also looked at the reservoir / adjuster and I now have adjustment from top to bottom,which wasn't the case previously even though I tried the refill thing myself.
The front was a bit of an adventure and it is still not proven that it will work.
In order to refill with nitrogen, he has to install a Schrader valve. When it came back the first time, the valve was in contact with the paralever arm in the installed position. Not by much, but it still made contact enough to make me nervous that a good bump could break off the valve and cause me to lose the gas charge. I sent it back and he has installed a flush mount valve that gains me about 6 or 7 mm. clearance. I'm hoping this is enough. He has increased rebound and compression by approx. 30% which I hope will lead to better handling without compromising the ride too much. At the end of the season, the front end was bottoming out on larger potholes even when riding solo.
I told you it was a long story! (Well at least it seems like it when you are a two finger typist!)
If there is any interest, I will post some results of how the shocks perform in case anyone else wants to give it a try. It' a lot cheaper than new Ohlins , Wilbers, or even O.E.M's but I will have to see how they perform and last before I give a definite thumbs up.
Thanks to all for the advice you have provided and to those who have helped through previous posts in the archives!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Man, I'm envious. I would fit your definition of a bad mechanic. Totally and utterly useless, even the simplest task usually involve :cussing: and or :brick: I'm still on the "baby steps" program.

Good for you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts