BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While not a surprise as the company has been struggling for some time now - between the custom chopper market past it's peak, and the U.S. economic conditions - life has been tough for the folks in Witchita, Kansas. Now, it has gone the way of American Iron Motorcycles.

The bank foreclosed on the company and holds the assets.

http://www.kansas.com/2011/04/08/1798851/big-dog-motorcycles-is-no-more.html

Yes, I own one. Flags flying at half staff today.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Sad to see yet another American business venture fail ... but gotta say never have understood the custom twin craze in the first place :confused:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Well, I guess I will have to retire my shirt...pity, I looked so good in it with my riding pants
However, its not as bad as my neighbor who spent $25,000 on one.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
motorhead said:
Sad to see yet another American business venture fail ...
Too many people buying German ... err ... I mean ... Jap bikes these days. :rotf:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Most of their motorcycles were....let's say unconventional.

I hate to see an American Company go down too, but you can't sell these type of bikes and make a good long living out of it.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The Big Dog Dealer here in Austin HATES the bikes. The first few new bikes they got in needed LOTs of work on them just to make them ready to sell. One was parked in the show room over night & the next day there was a 6 inch puddle of oil under it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not one to follow the crowd, when it came time that I could afford a 2nd bike, I wanted something low, and loud, but wasn't going the Harley route. Big Dog seemed to be a good blend of custom looks with more modern manufacturing quality. I'd have a bike that few would have, and none would have the same paint scheme. S&S motors, Baker transmissions, PM brakes, provided a level of comfort that the bike wasn't some "one-off" custom built in someone's garage, but had quality components and a warranty.

While I haven't had any significant issues with the bike in the 2+ years of owning and riding, I'll be the first to admit that these bikes have more quality issues than a big manufacturer such as BMW, Honda, or non-AMF Harley's. Disappointing to say the least, considering the cost. Some might say that it the nature of this style of bike and gives it "character". I don't agree. While I absolutely love the bike and it is a gas to ride, I can't trust that I won't be along the side of the road as something has failed...

For me, I find any style of bike appealing - from sport bikes to motocross, from touring to choppers, from naked bikes to cruisers and customs.... It's all good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts