BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ready to hit the road for Big Bend with the Hill Country Riders, and on to Carlsbad with some local none-BMW :mad: riding friends. Weather looks great and the fires are dying down.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Wolfgang said:
ready to hit the road for Big Bend with the Hill Country Riders, and on to Carlsbad with some local none-BMW :mad: riding friends. Weather looks great and the fires are dying down.
Buy me a taco tamale when me and ole Toad show up in Kerrville to see you guys off? :p ;)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that Wolfgang is making the best of this thing called "UNEMPLOYMENT?" :confused: What the heck?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
PiePrincess said:
Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that Wolfgang is making the best of this thing called "UNEMPLOYMENT?" :confused: What the heck?
I'm sure that he has job interviews along the way. The Big Bend ride just happens to be at the same time........I'm really really sure !

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
PiePrincess said:
He's drowning his sorrows in saddle miles :histerica Hang in there Wolfgang!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wolfgang - Steve have a great/safe ride. Also to hear about the news of your daughters clean bill of health is the best news any dad can get. Ride safe.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Wolfgang & I (Sammie got sick & is staying home) Are heading out the door. I'll post pics up when I get back. :bike:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I'm home & glad to be too. We saw weather from 45 MPH wind & 106 degrees to 46 this morning. Then it got up to only 72 coming back on I10. About 150 from Austin a cool front came in & the temp dropped back to 56 with a driving rain storm. As I got into Austin the temp was back to 95. Gotta love that Texas weather. 6 of us made the loop from Ft Davis down the River Road then back up 118 to Alpine. I forgot just how great that road is. On 118 there is a flat straight part about 10 miles long. One of our group was on a K1200S so he opened it up. He passed the leader (who was on a Goldwing) at about 135MPH, Well Gene (Goldwing) would not have any of that & passed Eric(K12S) at 140. Wolfgang , Curt & I kept it under 120 :rolleyes: & the lone HD rider with us hit 102 before he ran out of steam. All in all it was a great ride with old & new friends. I post the pics later on.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,103 Posts
Sounds like you all had a great time. Wish I could have been there instead of dodging tornados. Time for another cold shower... power may be back on by Tuesday.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
hEY, HEY - GLAD YOU'......dang caps lock thangie ... re back home safe. Appreciated the phone chat this morning. Thought for sure you'd be bringing some of that 46 degree stuff back this way, butt it's only 66 now. Real pleasant, even with the wind.

Good to hear Sammie in on the mend. Wonder how many head thumps you'da got if she'd been on the back at 100+ mph!!! ;)

BTW - Woody and I enjoyed a send-off breakfast with y'all in Kerrville. Turned out that y'all picked a good run to Del Rio thru the Hill Country. Somebody said IH-10 wuz closed in spots up around the Junction fire. Watching the news this morning, someone predicted it would be fully contained shortly - wuz 85/90 percent at the time. Bad chit!!

Take care - get a good rest - see ya soon.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We went to Carlsbad and toured the Caverns. We walked the long loop, great sights!
The plan was to stop in San Angelo tonight, but we got hit by the same cold front. Once we got to Big Spring and the temperature dropped below 50 we opted for a very nice, warm, brand new La Quinta Inn. The forecast for the morning is 40 and none of us brought any real warm clothing. We may hang here for a while...

My Harley and Goldwing riding friends really enjoyed meeting all of you. Thanks for making them feel welcome! And Gina is right, I gotten a lot of riding in lately. I find it a great way to deal with stress, much better than drugs, alcohol, or a shrink :) And yes, there may be a new job around the next bend of the road :rotf:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Lol.. I see the Speed run on 118 and no one was caught... I did.. That is my avatar pic of our DPS giving me the welcome stop. No harm tho, he did let me go.... :cool:

I see that Carlsbad is getting the tourism, do any of y'all ever check out the Sonora cavern? That is THE jewel and very few ever see it. Well worth the tour there.
Glad y'all made it back safe and sound..

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dick BTW - Woody and I enjoyed a send-off breakfast with y'all in Kerrville. [/QUOTE said:
Am I the only one that sees humor in the fact that we went again Dick-less to Big Bend? And to make matters worst we had to leave Woody behind too... :histerica. Most trips are more fun when Dick and Woody are around.... :histerica

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gene, Mark, and I made it home.

We covered a total of right at 2,500 miles. Top speeds were strictly within the legal limits of my birthplace, Germany. :)

On Sunday PM temperatures dropped to about 45 and it got very humid ahead of a cold and rainy front. We decided to cut the day short and spend the night in Big Spring. After reviewing the situation on Monday morning we decided to stay another night at the hotel. Watching the front come thru confirmed that it was a good choice.

Today was the perfect riding day, a cold start at about 40 degrees warming up to 75.

We are home safe with big smiles on our faces :)

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Wolfgang said:
. Top speeds were strictly within the legal limits of my birthplace, Germany. :)

:)
Nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts