BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tape 3 quarters together, 2 quarters together, have a piece of tape with dimes on it taped to the top of the radio, and the same with nickles, all in the odiments box.

I roll single dollar bills into tube individual tubes and have 5 bills folden width ways in half.

Any one got suggestions for better ways to manage paying for tolls?

The big problem is having to stop, take off my glove,open the lid, pay, put my glove back on and then go.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Bob, I think you have a good handle on the problem. I sometimes take a toll bridge across the columbia river and it is a pain in the ass to have to dig for toll money. For me the toll is 50¢ so I slip 2 quarters into a convenient piece of trim on my gloves when I leave the house. When I get to the toll booth enough of the quarters show that the toll person just removes them and off I go.

Loren

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I would just but dollar bills in the odiments compartment then I don't need to take off the gloves.

Now I just have an Ez-pass and drive on through. Works in most east coast states.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Illinois has iPass. Works for other states, also. I don't even have the device on the bike. Toll passes can read your license and debit it off the database (if plate is registered).
If you "blow" a toll, it can always be paid online at your convenience. Even in Illinois!
I guess you're looking for a "coinage" way to pay. I still have a quarter/dime/nickel dispenser that you can thumb the coins from. They fill into a spring loaded container for each denomination and also fits in the oddments compartment.
I'm much happier with the tech way of paying, though.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, I have a suggestion for your state. Come into the 21st Century.
Here they don't use money for the tolls, they use a little electronic box that charges your toll onto your account electronically.
And you just keep money on your account on your computer. No sending in money by mail, no driving down to the counter to pay in cash.
We have seen the future and arrived into it. I can't believe I'm this old and made it.
It's called FasTrak.
On the toll roads here, they are going to stop allowing anyone to stop and pay in cash. It makes sense to me as a rider, and driver. I don't want to stop, I don't want to fiddle for bills or coins, nor for change, and I don't have to.
By law the system functions state wide, and so on a visit to San Francisco I use it the same way on the Golden Gate Bridge (a famous bridge) and other bay bridges.
As to you guys, I remember buses from many years ago, and they had a silver metal box, with rows vertical of coins, lowest to highest denomination, each with a lever at the bottom, which, when depressed, would spit a coin into your hand. When you were to receive change, the driver would reach over, depress the lever here and there, the appropriate change would drop into his hand, and he would hand it to you.
I don't know how often the driver washed his hands.
On the fast track system, it don't matter.
dc

·
Premium Member
7,526 Posts
BecketMa said:
i tape 3 quarters together, 2 quarters together, have a piece of tape with dimes on it taped to the top of the radio, and the same with nickles, all in the odiments box.

I roll single dollar bills into tube individual tubes and have 5 bills folden width ways in half.

Any one got suggestions for better ways to manage paying for tolls?

The big problem is having to stop, take off my glove,open the lid, pay, put my glove back on and then go.

Best from Tucson
Bob
I pull up far enough that my wife can pay the toll! That is the best solution I have found to managing toll money. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
"I keep my money in my money clip, we don't have tolls in Wi."

Indeed you don't, Keyhole. And you also don't have the Golden Gate Bridge, nor the bypass road. When you are in this neighborhood, I will gladly pay your toll on the bypass road. You may then determine if you like it or not.

Have the wife pay? Oh, that is the best really. It reminds me of guys who say to me, "oh, nice bike. I wish I could get a bike like that, but my wife wouldn't let me".
(Yes, they do actually say that, believe it or not).
I respond, "why not do what some of us do. Get the wife to buy the motorcycle for you.
dc

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Oh I see it's comedy hour :rotf:
How about avoiding the toll road altogether. I lost a couple $$ bills preparing to pay a toll on our local Skyway btw Chi. and IN That was my last ride on I-90. I keep coin change in a tube container in my fanny pouch but the glove and handling is still an issue. I have seen one of the spring loaded things on an older LT where my Nav mount is but what if loose coins fall inside the steering collar. High tech is last resort.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I pay tolls very rarely but when I do I ust the tecnique I mentioned above. Why couldn't one just put a bunch of quarters in a tube or change in one of those little change holders and put it in the oddments compartment. Wheel up to the toll booth and if there is a person in the booth just hand the person in the booth the whole thing and let them make their own change. Not so effective if there is no person there.

Loren

·
Registered
375 Posts
We don't have so many Toll Roads in Europe but once in a while you find some and when I travel in the states I have some Dollar Bills and some Quarters in the oddments compartment. To get easy to the Money I wear Leather gloves without fingers like Bicycle rider use them. It's easy then to handle.

Manfred

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I think toll roads are a scam. We are already paying for roads via all sorts of taxes and fees.

Having said that, if they are going to extract even more funds from me, they can just wait for me to put down my side stand, dig out my wallet, pay, get a receipt, store it and then ride away. In consideration for fellow travelers, hustle on through when there are folks behind me.

Still pissed at the state of WV from a few years ago. Was riding in the rain, came up to a toll both, combination of oil and grease drippings from cars along with rain ended up dropping the fat girl right there in front of the toll taker. He had a smart ass comment, I picked it up and rode off without paying the toll.

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
I have tried a variety of methods and have settled on the following:

1. I own an iPass and use it most often

2. If I need to stop and pay a toll - I stop and pay the toll - I take my time take off my gloves
concentrate on not slipping on the oil patch - on occasion I will shut the bike off - I try to
make this a less stressful moment and not treat it like a NASCAR pit stop or an Iron Butt
Rally . . . and like all Italian race car drivers I do not care what is in my rear view mirror!!

Just saying . . . :D

·
Premium Member
7,526 Posts
billsmith said:
Oh I see it's comedy hour :rotf:
How about avoiding the toll road altogether. I lost a couple $$ bills preparing to pay a toll on our local Skyway btw Chi. and IN That was my last ride on I-90. I keep coin change in a tube container in my fanny pouch but the glove and handling is still an issue. I have seen one of the spring loaded things on an older LT where my Nav mount is but what if loose coins fall inside the steering collar. High tech is last resort.
ride safe :bmw:
Hey, I wasn't joking! My wife really does pay the tolls when we encounter a toll booth!!
:rotf:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for pointing out I-Pass, EZ-pass, handing over a $1(s), and handing over a change container.

I cannot remember having to pay a toll since I've been living in AZ.

I looked up EZ pass and discovered that 15 states accept EZ pass. On my way to and from Maine I could use an EZ pass in Maine, NH, MA, NY, PA, WV, V, Il, IA, and OH. All in all, that is a nice block of states, especially if I use a northern route to Akron Ohio and then across NY, MA into ME. At Akron I could go across PA, NY into CT and then MA to ME.

It seems as if the least expensive way to get a transponder and account for that system might be from IL?

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Having recently completed a pass thru that area from FL to Niagra Falls thru to Maine and then down 95 and over to WV, VA and south to Orlando, I would recommend that you pass on the E-Z PASS.

It was easier just to stop, pay the toll and move on...

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What problems did you have with EZ-pass Paul?
TNX
Bob

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
BecketMa said:
What problems did you have with EZ-pass Paul?
TNX
Bob
My Florida EZ-Pass did not work outside of the Florida Sun Pass system.

If I recall correctly, you need to register your EZ-PASS with each state so that they can get your tolls..

Maybe I miss understood, but here is a WIKI page that has some good info on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

1 - 20 of 28 Posts