BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I replaced an old florescent light fixture in our laundry room with a new LED one ordered from HomeDepo and the improvement was amazing and worth the $125.00.

We have a large garage with 3, four foot florescent fixtures and I planned to do the same there. An electrician friend explained how each fixture could be easily modified for LED lights at no cost and then the "bulbs" could just be replaced with LEDs.

I removed each ballast and rewired one end of each fixture hot.

The complete cost for all three was anther $125 or the cost of one completely new fixture, and that was just for the lights.

As my wife says, the garage looks like a new car showroom. The improved lighting really was worth it.

There are numerous Youtube videos that show how to do it. I just wasn't aware of how easy it was.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I have 17 eight foot fixtures & 2 four foot fixtures in my garage. When I worked at Penske Racing they replaced the T8 bulbs every two years & I have over 300 free used bulbs. I think I'm stuck with the T8 fixtures & bulbs for awhile.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Dan,
What bulb did you use from Home Depot? They have many listed on their web site.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The bulbs that I used came from:

http://store.earthled.com/collections/led-light-bulb-deals-of-the-week

They were:

Samsung Essential LED T8 Tube - 4 Ft. - 16.5W - 32 Watt Equal - 4000K / 1 Piece for $ 17.99 each

When I first just replaced the entire fixture, I ordered:

Lithonia Lighting 4 ft. Flush-Mount Ceiling White LED Wraparound Light-LBL 4 - The Home Depot

It was $129.00.

IMPORTANT: YOU MUST REWIRE THE OLD FLORESCENT FIXTURE BEFORE YOU CAN USE THE NEW LED BULBS. THE STAND ALONE NEW LED FIXTURE CAN BE JUST WIRED IN PLACE OF THE OLD FIXTURE.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Thanks for the info Dan!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I looked at LED replacement tubes a couple weeks ago, as my kitchen flourescent bulbs are beginning to fail. However, I can buy a case of 10 T12's to replace them (I need 8), for $30. These last me 4-5 years, so the economics just do not make an upgrade worth it for me right now. LEDs would cost me over four times as much. The 2.5 times longer life would be nice since the light housings are high up on a vaulted ceiling, but this time I think I may just replace the standard tubes. Still thinking it over though.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the upgrade for two reasons, more light (the difference is very obvious) and longer life. These LEDs have a life of 50,000 hours.

My guess is that there will be new technology before these need to be replaced !

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
Don't know if it compares to what you have but Costco has double 4 light fixtures for $40. They were on sale for $32 last month but I missed it. I am going to buy one and see how it is.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know if it compares to what you have but Costco has double 4 light fixtures for $40. They were on sale for $32 last month but I missed it. I am going to buy one and see how it is.
Jim - Were they LED ?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
How many lumens is the typical garage 4' florescent light?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I’ve been replacing each tube fluorescent as the ballast goes bad. If I’m going to the trouble and expense of replacing a ballast, might as well get rid of the ballast and direct wire to non-shunted tombstones and use LED bulbs. Heck, sometimes it is just as cheap and easier to replace the entire fixture when units are on sale.

I had 4 fixtures in the garage and I found 2 of these to be good enough as replacements. I think this is the same one I purchased a long time ago.
https://www.home depot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-4-ft-Bright-and-Cool-White-Linear-LED-Direct-Wire-Powered-Low-Profile-Wrap-Flushmount-Ceiling-Light-Fixture-54654241/206032014

A trick I learned when replacing an old unit, use a pencil to draw a faint line along the old fixture prior to removing. That is much easier than measuring, when putting the new unit in.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
If anyone is interested, the LED fixtures are now $79.97 at Home Depot.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
They have LED's for florescent fixtures now that are plug & play now. You just install the bulbs and that's it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts