BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
34 degrees this morning.
Went to start the beemer to move it and it barely cranked despite being on a trickle charger for the last 48 hours. Battery is a gel unit and I've noticed that they really lack cranking ability when below 40 degrees. On vacation on a 21 degree monrning we started it by pushing down hill.
I have checked the entire charging system and verified proper function so it's the gel teechnology that seems to be the issue.

On the other hand, the Suzuki C90T parked next to the lt fired up like it was 90 degrees outside. It has a traditional battery on board.

Are there any bettter batteries that will fit in the LT available space?
Help is appreciated !!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Gel batteries suk big time. Last word on battery is Odyssey p680. It is a AGM and will last many moons. Superb cranking and charge holding. BTW- try "search" function and word "Battery". It works for many other questions too. :D

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I buy cheap battery's at Advance Auto. My LT's crank over just fine in single digit temps. & I don't use a trickle charger unless one of my LT's is going to sit for several weeks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
AGM's are as good as it gets right now for a general-purpose, all-around battery. While all batteries deliver less power at low temperatures, gels are a lithe worse than most. They are also easily damaged by overcharging, where AGM's will tolerate higher charging voltages.

Because of their construction, AGM batteries are more resistant to separator failures (which are the main cause of early battery failure) as well as filament growth (which is a problem as the battery ages).

Lithium batteries may be a good choice for some applications. Their light weight makes them tempting, but they require a peculiar charging sequence (constant current for bulk charge, followed by constant voltage to top it off) and are really poor below 40 degrees. The charging issues are normally handled within the battery (I think, the open literature on this is not clear), while the battery can be warmed up on cold starts by running your headlights for a few minutes, but it is still something you don't have to deal with with an AGM.

If keeping weight low is a big concern, go lithium, otherwise, AGM seems the best choice.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Ole Toad has been fitted with just about every battery that will meet specs for an LT - just received a WestCo AGM battery, on sale, from Beemerboneyard. Arrived 2 days before scheduled tracking menu - put it on a Battery Tender Plus and will swap when full up charging. Am replacing a UPS (sp ?) Panasonic that's about 4 years old. We do like the Odyssey PC680, butt they've run away with their pricing, so we'll see how the WestCo does - 12V 20Ah.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dick said:
Ole Toad has been fitted with just about every battery that will meet specs for an LT - just received a WestCo AGM battery, on sale, from Beemerboneyard. Arrived 2 days before scheduled tracking menu - put it on a Battery Tender Plus and will swap when full up charging. Am replacing a UPS (sp ?) Panasonic that's about 4 years old. We do like the Odyssey PC680, butt they've run away with their pricing, so we'll see how the WestCo does - 12V 20Ah.
Dick,

My Westco ran strong for straight 5 years without a hick up. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
lesn said:
Dick,

My Westco ran strong for straight 5 years without a hick up. Good luck with yours.
Thanks, Les. I've come to like AGM batteries. Been pretty strict with Battery Tenders on 'em - I think they like that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Same as Saddleman. Get a cheap and cheerful battery from you local bike or lawnmower dealer and it'll do just as good. Mine cost €48 and is on year 4.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Just curious if you have your battery on a trickle charger or a battery tender. That might make a difference if the battery is not up to a full charge on the LT. Even in Florida, if my LT did not have a full charge, there were hesitations on start up.

I've always used a battery tender, not a trickle charger and when I use it, had good results. Standard batteries lasted 3-4 years.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
As others have said, AGM is THE way to go. I have 20,000 miles and nearlty 3 years on my Panasonic AGM battery and it still starts like when it was new. I keep the bike on a Battery Tender Jr after every ride and until ridden again. The Panasonic replaced a 5 year old Westco that the previous owner had installed. I only replaced the Westco because I knew I would need to and found the Panasonic at a good price.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
headlight goes out when starting. Radio and comms turn off during start.

I tried leaving the PIAA lights on for about 2 minutes this morning in hopes of heating the battery and that seemed to make a huge difference.

I think the gel is going out and an AGM is coing in, very soon.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Sounds like it is under warranty, BMW battery?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hoodcounty said:
headlight goes out when starting. Radio and comms turn off during start.

I tried leaving the PIAA lights on for about 2 minutes this morning in hopes of heating the battery and that seemed to make a huge difference.

I think the gel is going out and an AGM is coing in, very soon.
Aren't those items on the load shed relay?

Robert

·
Registered
64 Posts
OEM BMW, (Exide) Gel battery, original to bike. Placed in service 07/2004. Always on
Deltran Battery Tender +, (Programmed for BMW Gel).

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
First choice PC680.

Second choice any VRLA (valve regulated lead acid = maintenance free)

Last choice any battery with a drain tube on it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
August of 2004 is when I picked up my bike, it still has the original battery almost 9 years later, is there a better battery out there,? I doubt it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
First choice PC680.

Second choice any VRLA (valve regulated lead acid = maintenance free)

Last choice any battery with a drain tube on it.
Ditto. :bike:

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have used this Battery without problems..

UB12220 Universal 12 Volt 22AH Battery
Item# UB12220B1
$64.31
Availability: Usually ships the same business day
Product Description
12 Volt
22 Amp Hour
Length 7.13
Width 3
Height 6.57
Terminals NB
Weight (17.5)
Manufacturer Universal Power
Model # UB12220 Universal 12 Volt 22AH Battery.

Related Products
LC-X1220P Panasonic 12 Volt 20AH Battery
$107.67

Call us today:
1-800-706-7009

1 - 20 of 20 Posts