BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the most protection and no buffeting.

The stock shield is ok, but it lets in too much wind noise. I happen to have a helmet with great air circulation and FWIW: I hear that good ventilation on a helmet means 'more noisy'

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200RT Premium in San Marino blue
23 Posts

The stock shield is ok, but it lets in too much wind noise. I happen to have a helmet with great air circulation and FWIW: I hear that good ventilation on a helmet means 'more noisy'
After a lot of research, I chose the Werks Quiet Ride Windshield (large size, 26"). It's a great improvement.
"Chris on the Street" ha a great YouTube video comparing Stock to Aeroflow and Werks windshields (although he didn't have a 26" Werks - which is what I got, he only tested the 24" version).
I chose the Werks over the Aeroflow because I didn't want the purple tint of the Aeroflow, and otherwise the 2 (of the same size) are virtually identical in performance. The Werks is also less expensive, which is a bonus.

I'll probably spring for for AeroWings deflectors next year...
See

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
354 Posts
I tried them both back to back and they were almost identical. Both fantastic improvement over stock. The tint on the Aeroflow was horrible and was more expensive than the Werks. The Werks was perfectly clear. You do not need the tall one unless you are very tall. I'm 5'10" and with the 24 there is zero air on me when I raise to just below my eyesight. It os so effective that when it gets real hot in the Summer I put the stock shield back on just to get some air

Reactions: pbosik

·
Registered
76 Posts
Two nicely done videos. Thanks for the effort. I have to assume the 26" Werks would have been more an apples to apples comparison to the mid height Aeroflow.

I currently use the same 24" Werks as in the video and am pleased with the performance. In hindsight though, I should have bought the 26" and the 22" for cold and warm weather respectively.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I got the Werks Quiet Ride in 24 inches; I'm 5-11 with a 30 inch inseam. I installed it this morning and did about 40 miles, with the highest speed around 60. The windshield never left the down position. I felt no wind in my face and was able to look over it. Nevertheless, there was adequate air flow to my chest and arms that seemed to come from the side. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried them both back to back and they were almost identical. Both fantastic improvement over stock. The tint on the Aeroflow was horrible and was more expensive than the Werks. The Werks was perfectly clear. You do not need the tall one unless you are very tall. I'm 5'10" and with the 24 there is zero air on me when I raise to just below my eyesight. It os so effective that when it gets real hot in the Summer I put the stock shield back on just to get some air
I also am 5'10" with a average length torso. My inseam is 32" so, I would say my legs are sorta long and torso definitely not long. My question is, if you were buying yhe Werks again, would you get the 26"?

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
354 Posts
No way. The 24 is more than adequate. I have a 32" inseam. With the shield below my nose I have zero buffeting. The only time I raise it to just below my line of sight is when my wife is on the back. She LOVES IT!

Reactions: MBevans and pbosik

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
As an add on....
I have the now defunct CeeBaileys windscreen on my '06 RT. I love it and have over 40,000 miles on it through just about everything you can throw at it. However, know that the extra load put on the brackets can and most likely will result in broken brackets. On the '06 they are a pot metal. I have replaced both. The first one went on my first Alaska ride about 12 years ago on a pretty potted dirt road (I should have lowered the screen all the way down - that can help prevent them from breaking). The second one went just this past summer on a very windy day in Oklahoma when an 18 wheeler went wizzing by and the screen torqued left to right). So now both have been replaced so I'm hopefully good to go. (I don't need a dissertation on why they used the material they did on the brackets, safety, yada yada - don't care).I'm just adding a bit of experience with larger screens.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I am using the Juroc 24" and the difference is day and night
I am 6' tall and it work absolutely perferct for me
I hope it helps

·
Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
238 Posts

reg: Your last sentence is worth considering. I've had 4 RTs. I bought CeeBaileys for my '05. The flip-up variety (not Euro version) was great. I bought a Tall and a Wide-Tall. The Wide-Tall was great for winter riding. It was absolutely claustrophobic in even 70 degree weather. You got heat from the radiator up around the handlebars/fork, but no air on any part of your body. It was too much. There is such a thing.

Like most people, I do most of my riding in Summer and on nice days in Spring and Fall. When I got the '17 wet-head, I chose an aeroflow tall. It stops buffeting without having to put the screen up even half way, but it allows a nice amount of air on your arms. This really makes a nice riding experience. I don't like helmet buffeting and noise. With this screen, I went 4500 miles on a summer ride to the national rally from Chicago and doing a lot of touring around after. Great experience. I brought earplugs but never felt like I needed to use them. I have a wireless/helmet speaker setup in my Schuberth C3 helmet with updated liner. I didn't need to crank the speakers and I didn't have ringing ears at night after riding all day. It's just a great setup.

I don't have a new RT, so I can't recommend any screen for this bike. Every RT with a new fairing shape is going to behave differently in the wind. One needs to find the right screen and the right seat for every new bike. The main point is that the OP mentioned he wanted "The most protection and no buffeting". All I can say is, there such a thing as too much protection. I only used my Tall-Wide screen for ONE trip per year. That was a ride from Chicago down to Deal's Gap area...on the day after Thanksgiving. This is a serious crazy thing to do some years, but you get the roads practically to yourself when you get down there. We have some stories from those trips.

One other point is crosswinds and buffeting for straight line riding. If you're riding in a crosswind, you will get buffeting. The cure is to scoot yourself on the seat away from the wind while you tilt the bike into the wind. You're sitting sort of on the corner of the seat. The bike is tilting into the wind and you're riding straight. It's balanced and it works. When you're on a long trip, you have a lot of time to practice techniques like this. Cruise control is a real blessing for long trips. I'm not sold on active cruise though. It's a lot of extra complication and it's of limited benefit...It isn't easier, it's just a different skill-set to navigate interstates. I find it nicest in the car on a two-lane where you don't have to worry over people pulling in your lane. Set about 10 mph over the limit and just set the distance. I went back to normal cruise after two cars with active cruise. I don't miss it.

btw, I'm 5'10" with long waist, so I sit about 6' or so. I have my Sargent normal seat set on the high position. It's reasonably comfortable. I'm 70 and did a 680 mile day on the way back from Wyoming....no ear plugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have a 2021 R1250 RT I was not satisfied with the stock windshield that came with the bike so I contacted the owner of AeroFlow who used my bike as the test motorcycle for the first prototypes of a new windshield. After several prototypes, there is a preproduction 26 inch windscreen that should be coming to market soon.

I became one of the test riders at 6‘3“. The 26 inch screen is perfect for my size because it gives me clean air in the lowest position all the way down and moves air completely over the top of the helmet positioned at my nose. I suggest contacting AeroFlow directly if you have any questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2021 R1250 RT I was not satisfied with the stock windshield that came with the bike so I contacted the owner of AeroFlow who used my bike as the test motorcycle for the first prototypes of a new windshield. After several prototypes, there is a preproduction 26 inch windscreen that should be coming to market soon.

I became one of the test riders at 6‘3“. The 26 inch screen is perfect for my size because it gives me clean air in the lowest position all the way down and moves air completely over the top of the helmet positioned at my nose. I suggest contacting AeroFlow directly if you have any questions.
I meant to write a production screen of the 26 inch shield should be coming out soon.

·
Registered
201 Posts

You are too kind when describing the stock shield. It sucks in my opinion. After doing some research I decided to give the Aeroflow shield designed for my 2019 RT a try. I got the standard medium height and it's a leap forward in terms of quietness and additional protection on the sides. The downside is when it warms up again, the protection will be too much. But I have the Aeroflow sport shield for that. It allows a ton of air over the top but it's "clean" air, with none of the buffeting the stock shield generates. The number one problem with the stock shields on the two RTs (2005 R1200RT and 2019 R1250RT) I have owned has been the excessive buffeting they generate. After all these years you'd think BMW would have figured out how to make a windshield that doesn't beat the top of your helmet up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have tried a ton of Windshields and personally you can't go wrong with a Puig. I call it the barn door, I never had to raise it off the lowest position. And if it isn't tall enough for you they make an add on deflector. I have had them on 2 bikes now and the only reason I got rid of it was I came across a Cee Bailey...
Clicky Clicky

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have tried a ton of Windshields and personally you can't go wrong with a Puig. I call it the barn door, I never had to raise it off the lowest position. And if it isn't tall enough for you they make an add on deflector. I have had them on 2 bikes now and the only reason I got rid of it was I came across a Cee Bailey...
Clicky Clicky
If I was gonna do this, I would just buy a Laminar Lip and put it on the stock

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
133 Posts
Just pre-ordered a Puig in light smoke for my 2021 RT. They are currently out of stock but expected by mid to late January. I currently ride with a 24" Quiet werks. Once I receive the Puig windshield I will probably put the Quiet werks shield up for sale.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts