BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove Norton antivirus. What is the best way to do this?
TIA

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The best way is to go into safe mode - it cannot be completely removed when you fire up your PC normally.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wooly.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
+1 on the Norton removal tool. That's what they use when things get messed up.

This will get rid of any registry entries as well as the program itself.

Normally you'd just go through add/remove programs.

But if you have a problem the removal tool clears everything out.

John

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Im sure that Norton is a decent product, but my computer is super slow as a result of its installation. Is there any other product you might suggest to take its place that can do the job just as well?

F

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
They all suck... Actually, they're all pretty damn good at what they're designed to do. What's unfortunate is that there's a need for them. Let's have a reality TV show that exposes these assholes and gives them their due. The writers strike could go on for years and we would still have entertainment...

Sorry to rant - this one hits a soft spot...

·
Registered
19 Posts
anti virus

Try AVG from grisoft.com They have a free version for personal use. It does not impact the computer performance the way Norton does. We have used the commercial version at the office for the last several years and have not had any problems.
I know people using the free version for home and they have not had any problems.

Brian

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Symantec products on home PCs simply suck. Loudly and badly. They try to fix the broken parts of a broken operating system. Fact you've been conditioned to even *WANT* an AV product should scream something to you - loud and clear. AV is not inevitable. Or at least it shouldn't be.

But does Symantec have to be so painfully extreme about their efforts? When Peter Norton was building his stuff - it was good. But then the bean counters go a hold of it, followed by the 'human interface' people - it's been a race to the bottom ever since.

I won't even go into "360" or other products (can anyone say 'go back' with out wretching?). If you need that much "protection" - maybe a computer isn't the best tool? Or could it be a computer built 'like that'?

This single symptom of how painful it can be to effectively remove their 'software' - as evidenced by this thread - is only one indication of how extreme their products are.

For 'un-educated' home users (non-geeks), no amount of AV, security or add-ons is going to "fix it". To draw an analogy with motorcycling.... I don't care HOW much gear you have on - you ride into a wall, it's going to hurt. Bad. FIRST, you gotta learn how to ride - then if something happens, your helmet can make a difference.

If you don't know how to practice safe computing - no one's AV will help.

Hehehehe - and we've a Symantec rep coming to the office tomorrow for a "Meet and Greet". He got in the door by offering our sales team a spreadsheet of local Symantec users. He gave us a ready made sales list!! Our sales team has been drooling all week. Boss man says I'm not scheduled to attend - geeee, wonder why. Wonder if I can sneak in anyway. Maybe if I find a mask that will hide the feathers.

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
MrB said:
Try AVG from grisoft.com They have a free version for personal use. It does not impact the computer performance the way Norton does. We have used the commercial version at the office for the last several years and have not had any problems.
I know people using the free version for home and they have not had any problems.

Brian
I installed AVG on both our laptops here at home. Bought the two years, two licences version. The laptop with 2 gigs of memory is running fine. The one with 256 megs choked to a grinding stop. Had to remove it just last nite. It was taking literally 20 minutes to boot. I am going to up the RAM on the little machine and try it again, but AVG does need some room to work just like the other anti virus programs.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Florian said:
Is there any other product you might suggest to take its place that can do the job just as well?

Zero virus problems, period. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
meese said:

Zero virus problems, period. :)

I know, I have an MacBook at home...no issues. The business laptop that runs all my corporate books is the one giving me an assache.

F

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Zotter said:
Maybe if I find a mask that will hide the feathers.
You may be able to find a mask to hide the feathers. But the moment you speak your beak will show. Just the simple question "Why does that have to be so complicated?" will send them all in a rage.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Florian said:
I know, I have an MacBook at home...no issues. The business laptop that runs all my corporate books is the one giving me an assache.

F
just curious - can you move that application to the Mac?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I may be able to....BUT, I removed norton this morning and all is well. Im using AVG for now and the business computer is screamingly fast! Thanks!

F

1 - 16 of 16 Posts