BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got a favourite product for getting bugs off?

Fresh paint, don't want to scuff it all up.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Warm wet towel. Lay it on, let it stay on a few minutes, softens the bugs , they wipe right off. Peroxide will do the trick as well.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
TUFF STUFF . I get it at Walmart. Just spray it on the dry bike , let it set for a minute or two, then respray the bigger bugs & wash like normal

Once clean I use S100 all over the bike as it makes cleaning the next time very easy.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I have found that once clean, and before a bug infested trip, I coat the front contact points with an extra coat of wax and don't buff it off. Seems to prevent the bugs from sticking as badly and they generally hose off after the trip.

Having a rare light green colored bike helps as the white residue doesn't show too badly.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wow Brett, that photo says it all ! Are you sure you let that fresh paint dry before you rode the bike? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Water, seems to be the best....& for the moment it isn't to costly :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
--------------------------------------------- incoming !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I am doing a bug removal as I write this.....
My bike is parked outside at work......and it is raining.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
bretta said:

Thanks
Brett,
You must have been riding { :bike: } by the lake. chironomus plumorsus ?

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Turtle Wax makes a really good "Bug and Tar" remover, that also works wonders on fresh asphalt and road tar. About $5 for a 24-ounce spray container, all natural, i think it's mostly citrus oils. I always hit the area up with a fresh coat of wax after, because some of that stuff will also take the wax off.

If you have the time, draping an old towel over the area, soaking the towel and letting it sit for 10 mins before washing almost always does the trick. If you don't have the time or patience, hit it with the cleaner.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
kk610lt said:
I am doing a bug removal as I write this.....
My bike is parked outside at work......and it is raining.
Good one, Keith. My is in the rain, too, but had the foresight to throw the cover over her this AM. Got the bugs off from the weekend with a thick towel drenched in hot water. Layed it over the shield / nose and soaked the critters off.

Jer

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Riding in the rain is another good way... Six hour ride, in the rain almost all the way from southern WV to Atlanta and not one bug!

·
Registered
431 Posts
+1 on water, soaked towels, rain, dew, etc. to soften them. For a really thorough finish try a clay bar with detailer spay.

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I know it is expensive but Plexus works like a charm for the windsheild for me.

I went thru a love bug storm on the way from Orlando to Atl last weekend and Plexus did the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
highroamer said:
Dave, I don't know about Dawn but most washing up liquids contain salt and should never be used on any vehicle.

Kevin.
They also, by design, remove all wax and will damage clearcoat. But i imagine they do a good job on bug guts.

·
Registered
292 Posts
ABSOLUTELY THE BEST CLEANER FOR BUGS IS.............SIMPLE GREEN. 30 years plus of experiance cleaning bikes, cars, campers, boats etc and have made all the mistakes.
Simple Green is a bioderadable enzyme cleaner. Spray on the bug splatterd areas, let is sit for a few minutes then use your SOFT BRISTLE brush. Rinse and then rewash your entire bike with your favorite car wash. The bugs just disintergrate when brushing.
Dry with the Motorcycle Dryer/Red Baron. Then I wax with Can Do from Saeng/TA.
My bike still looks show room. No swirls or scratches.

·
Registered
353 Posts
bretta said:

Thanks
Hot towel, let it sit for a while, (gently), wipe em right off. Repeat till squeaky clean...

No need to buy anything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts