BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is the location for this topic and I know it has been discussed many times.
Please humor me with some further "enlightenment" on this issue.

I drove home on a very dark rainy night for the first time this past weekend. I was very disappointed with my road vision ahead with the stock lights. Please bear in mind that I have a 2008 with the "new standard equipment" improved lowbeam, compared to previous years. My question is, could I still improve the front headlight with an aftermarket bulb? Could it be that easy? Or am I correct in thinking that the aftermarket lightbulb changes are only suggested for the earlier models?
Assuming that changing the bulb itself will not be a added value option, what therefore would be the best current option available to me? I read that the Ducati lighting system is no longer available.
When I say "Best Option" I mean, a light system that is easy to install, and does not cost a ridiculous dollar amount and does not "look too out of place". Something that mounts without causing major modification to the bike...
I just want to be able to see the road ahead and be able to switch them off when not needed.
Thanks again for allowing me to bring this topic up again.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Joe, I just drove home (10:00 PM, well after dark) and once again found my Hella FF200s indispensable. They absolutely can not be used with oncoming traffic because they are so bright and because I have them aimed down the road, but my goal was to light up the road for deer and so I would not out-ride the lights, etc. There are other options like this, but I have these. If you're looking for something that can always be on at night, even with oncoming traffic... hopefully someone else has other suggestions for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Is your bike equipped with the HID (Zenon) low beam option? If not it will just have a halogen bulb in the low beam. Converting to HID low beam is the best possible upgrade.

Additional "driving" and or "fog" lights helps considerably, but nothing gives you the bang for the buck of HID low beam.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Plus one on the HID. Best thing I ever for improving lighting. First thing I installed on my new bike.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
2008 should have an HID low beam already...

If not.. That's the only way to go. Check out DDR tunners site for best price and smallest ballasts.

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JPSpen said:
2008 should have an HID low beam already...
If not.. That's the only way to go. Check out DDR tunners site for best price and smallest ballasts. John
So, if my 2008 came with a Xenon Light as standard equipment- is that as good as HID?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
hschisler said:
Joe, I just drove home (10:00 PM, well after dark) and once again found my Hella FF200s indispensable. They absolutely can not be used with oncoming traffic because they are so bright and because I have them aimed down the road, but my goal was to light up the road for deer and so I would not out-ride the lights, etc. There are other options like this, but I have these. If you're looking for something that can always be on at night, even with oncoming traffic... hopefully someone else has other suggestions for you.

Good luck!
Howard, where did you buy these, and how are they mounted? Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts