BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
why and which Michelins?

What mileage have you gotten from a pair and do you have any pictures of the tires before removal to show the wear patters?

I'm about to install my third pair of Michelin Road 6 GTs this year and have considered an alternative.
Michelins seem to take a lot longer to warm up, prefer handling with Dunlops better, IMHO. I don't have any pictures of tire wear. I've had PR4's & 5's, no experience with PR6. I think mileage is pretty comparable between the two, since they are both dual compound. Mileage varies wildly between riders due to riding style and the type of surface you are rifing on, but I seem to get 7500 - 8500 out of a set

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've been running Michelin Roads for a number of years, but that is coming to an end. The $500+ USD price point is just too high so I'm going to give the Metzler Roadtec 01 HWM tires at $100 < the Michelins.
I had a set of Metzler Roadtec 01. They were loud... they made a sort of "howling" noise in corners. The grip was fine, but overall I was pretty unimpressed. I went to Continental RoadAttack 3 after and liked those better. The Dunlop RoadSmart IV are pretty good as well, and probably cheaper than the Roadtec 01.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
My experience with 2nd set of Michelin Road 6s this summer.

Installed on 7/26/22 with 11.850 miles
Currently on 10/17/22 with 22,300 miles
Miles of use 10,450 miles

Pictures taken today. Seems I have a bit more miles left in them.. ~500-1000 miles

Only negative I've noticed is that after ~60% wear on the soft compound sides from hard cornering they have
become slightly noisy from new when leaned over vs straight line driving. Same issue I noticed on the first
set of Road 6's installed earlier this year.

PSI was very close to spec the majority of time, however I did air down the back by 3-4 psi for 1000 miles
of my ride prior to hitting the curves to determine if I could minimize squaring off the back tire. Seemed to help for me at 180lbs dressed weight and minimal luggage weight. No top box on my moto. Aired back up to spec pressure once arriving at the curves.

Use for this set has been in the following states, MN, IA, NE, CO, NM, IL, OH, WV, VA, KY, NC

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Helmet Plant Vehicle

Tire Plant Helmet Sports gear Motorcycle

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I appreciate these observations. Thanks. I realize that 'another tire thread' was coming, but I'm trying to learn the new bike, what works, etc. I lived for 200,000 miles with Metzelers ONLY. I'd like to get the next set of tires soon, and be happy with my decision. Keep writing.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I appreciate these observations. Thanks. I realize that 'another tire thread' was coming, but I'm trying to learn the new bike, what works, etc. I lived for 200,000 miles with Metzelers ONLY. I'd like to get the next set of tires soon, and be happy with my decision. Keep writing.
BTW, I don't remember if it had been mentioned, and perhaps you knew this already, but the Metzler Z8 has much thinner layer of rubber in the center, which resulted in people finding that the tire (usually the rear) is worn down to the cords before the wear bar shows fully worn!

I have been thinking about the Dunlop for a while now, and I may just try that when I do the change from the Road 6GT. I do love riding with the Michelin though, and hope that the Dunlop is as good!

Question for you guys with the Dunlop experience - how is it in the wet? The Road 6GT was fantastic, even in torrential downpours!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Only negative I've noticed is that after ~60% wear on the soft compound sides from hard cornering they have
become slightly noisy from new when leaned ove
This I noticed w/ PR4GT only closer to may the last 20% of wear.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just to put an end to my tire search, installed Dunlop RoadSmart IV today on my 2019 1250RT. Now, it's going to be a while before I get to ride with the snow and nasty cold here in WI. Thanks for all your input on this for me.

Reactions: RT_Slim

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
228 Posts
Just to put an end to my tire search, installed Dunlop RoadSmart IV today on my 2019 1250RT. Now, it's going to be a while before I get to ride with the snow and nasty cold here in WI. Thanks for all your input on this for me.
That is the only other tire I've considered. Would like to know approximate mileage expectations with that tire on the RT.

another post update regarding the 2nd set of Road 6 GT here (11k miles)

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
. . . . and I will be most interested in wet weather performance!!! Please report back after you have been on it! :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
. . . . and I will be most interested in wet weather performance!!! Please report back after you have been on it! :)
For sure, but with temps down to 2 this morning, it won't be today. Sad day with the bike covered, on a charger, and 5" of snow.

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,092 Posts
I just ordered the same tires for my 2009 K1300GT.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
For sure, but with temps down to 2 this morning, it won't be today. Sad day with the bike covered, on a charger, and 5" of snow.
I can wait a couple of days!!!! ;) Not quite as cold here, but well below freezing. We lucked out with the snow, since the wind was more westerly, we didn't get much, but Buffalo, at the eastern end of Lake Erie got more than 5 feet, all in one go!

As for the tire, I love the Road 6GT, but I am planning another long jaunt west next year, which means lots if upright Interstates riding, and a less expensive tires with good performance in all weather would be better. Otherwise, I will stick with another set of Road 6GT.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I just replaced my Conti Road Attack IIIs with Michelin GT6 for a ride up to Canada. I like Conti but upon replacing them one of them was seriously blistered on the inside of the tire. I wrote Conti but no response. I only got the new Michelins because I couldn't get the new Conti tires. I'm good with the GT6s.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
I just replaced my Conti Road Attack IIIs with Michelin GT6 for a ride up to Canada. I like Conti but upon replacing them one of them was seriously blistered on the inside of the tire. I wrote Conti but no response. I only got the new Michelins because I couldn't get the new Conti tires. I'm good with the GT6s.
View attachment 180969
I am repeating myself, but that is the very reason why I would never try the brand. Over the years, I have found this specific complaint to be fairly common, and the worse of it is that the manufacturer will NOT stand behind their tires, when you do complain! This is a manufacturing defect, and so the company doesn't seem to have a good QA system in place.

Reactions: Fast1

·
Registered
94 Posts
View attachment 180969
Delamination. The cause usually is at some point in it's life it was run low on pressure, overloaded or overheated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Having worked for Michelin on the customer side, MOST problems are caused by customer use. They cannot say that, but that delamination comment from NMDan is probably right. It is possible that the butyl lining was not attached properly, but the most likely option is that it has separated from the tyre because it was run at low pressure, overloaded (samething) or overheated.

Guessing from the photo.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts