BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for another tire thread

New to me 2019 BMW R1250RT. Love the bike. After 5000 miles some tire noise from the Michelin GT5s. Some cupping up front, nothing on rear.

What are you running on your bike? Any to stay away from? Thanks for the help.

On my LT I ran Metzeler for the life of the 223,000, and my 2010 RT (for sale on this site) loved GT5s

Thanks for your help

• Wow
Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Man, that's a really loaded question, and you are going to get a lot of different answers! ;) Personally, I like the Michelin tires and have the Road 6GT on the RT at this time, and love it. Don't ask me about tire noise, because it seems that I never hear them, EXCEPT for when I was running the Pirelli Angel GT. I would never get that tire again for reasons besides the noise. Metzler is OK. I have had the Z8 on my RTs, as delivered from the factory, twice now, and didn't have any issues with them. I tend to ride the corners rather hard, and the Z8 was fine, but the Michelins gives me better feel and confident in those situations. I have used Michelins from the PR2 all the way to the present Road 6.

All of my tires, regardless of brands that I have tried, will last me for at least 10,000 miles, and typically a few thousands beyond that. Tire pressure has a lot to do with how the tires will last, especially with noise and cupping, IMHO. I always ride at 40/42 psi (F/R).

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I've recently come to the view that it's horses for courses.
In preparation for an 11K km trip across Australia on a 2019 1250RT I fitted a brand spanking new set of Michelin Road 6GTs. Top shelf, top price! That trip was at highway speeds plus some (I got my first speed camera fine through the mail this morning), on a seriously loaded up bike, across some of the straightest roads in the world. One section of the Eyre Highway (1660km) is the "90 Mile Straight": 90 miles or 146km without a corner. The rest of the roads we travelled on were mostly straight as well.
Well I'm home now, with a seriously squared off rear tyre that is approaching its wear limit. I don't think I needed a top shelf top price set of tyres for that trip. Buy the tyres for the type of riding you do.

Ian

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Reactions: RupertB

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you aren't happy with the Michelins (I don't really like them - I think they're over hyped, over rated, and over priced) try Dunlop RoadSmart IV or Continental RoadAttack III. I've had great results with multiple sets of both. Next I'm going to try Continental RoadAttack IV and see how those work.

Reactions: joeducati

·
Registered
2021 719 Mineral White 1250RT
35 Posts

New to me 2019 BMW R1250RT. Love the bike. After 5000 miles some tire noise from the Michelin GT5s. Some cupping up front, nothing on rear.

On my LT I ran Metzeler for the life of the 223,000, and my 2010 RT (for sale on this site) loved GT5s

Thanks for your help
Add air. 38/42 is what I recommend. Mine R4 last me 13K, I'm now on R5 and I will be replacing them with 9K. I will be moving to the R6 soon. My roads are very volcanic asphalt and Metzers only lasted 6K. Dunlops were too hard but lasted 9K. I'm very happy with the Michs.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Conti RoadAttack 3 GT beat Mich PR4GT, "The Cupping Tire", Pirelli Angel GT "The Overresponsive Tire", and finally Metz Z8, "The Tire that suddenly displays cords". RA3GT beat them all for: traction at any speed, quietness, resistance to cupping and squaring, best in longitudinal grooved bridges etc, can be hard-leaned when first installed, and best of all: best turn-in and lean-hold noticed immediately, and persisting for 3 sets now. They can be run at BMW's recommended pressures and don't need overinflated fronts like the Michelins have. Nice to learn there is a newer version I hope they continue their superior performance on RTW.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks NoelCP-appreciate the information. I'm just a bit over 6000 now (in one month) and like the handling earlier (and still now I guess), but front is pretty cupped, and rear not long for this world. So, will make a change and leaning toward Conti.
We are riding two up, and in CO with a bit more aggressive pavement I think than in WI. But in spite of the tires, I just plain love the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks for your help
I personally like the Dunlop Roadsmarts over the Michelins. If you are riding two up, I would increase your tire pressure a bit, but in my experience, you can't avoid the tire cupping due to the weight of the bike with a pillion.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I personally like the Dunlop Roadsmarts over the Michelins. If you are riding two up, I would increase your tire pressure a bit, but in my experience, you can't avoid the tire cupping due to the weight of the bike with a pillion.
Thanks. That's the direction I'm leaning.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had 3 sets of Michelins on my 18' RT (4GT, 5GT, 4GT). All have been great in both performance and longevity. I got 11.5K, 10.2K (replaced early do to extended trip), and at 8.0K on the current 4GTs with plenty of life left. I run 36/42 as much as possible and have had no issues with cupping on any of my tires even though most of my miles are 2 up. I'm a pretty aggressive rider when the road starts to bend, but invariably my rear has to be replaced before the front is ready. I always replace them as a set for that new bike feel you get with new rubber.

Having professed my affection for the Michelins, I will say that I have the Conti RA3s on my Triumph and they have performed exceptionally well in that application. Based on that, I wouldn't hesitate to run a set on my RT. But for now there's no reason to mess with success and I'll be sticking with the Michelin brand.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I've been running Michelin Roads for a number of years, but that is coming to an end. The $500+ USD price point is just too high so I'm going to give the Metzler Roadtec 01 HWM tires at $100 < the Michelins.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I run Mich. Just put a set of GT6's on. Even brand new, in driving rain on greasy roads, their grip impressed me. (Straight after fitting at the shop)

Confession. 25 years ago I worked for Michelin in the UK. Part of that was selling truck tyres to fleets. We sold them on a cost per mile basis. My father in law worked for Pirelli, so I had a slight inside into the workings of that manufacturer.

Boring Ramble: At the time, Michelin had the edge on how they made tyres with a conformity, so all tyres they made worked the same. Often when examining miles completed on truck fleets, I would get a outlier made by a competing brand that would do we well or even better, but over several sets, we always came out significantly cheaper per mile.

Now that was a long time ago, and others I am sure have raised their game but they still do well I think.

But with a bike tyre, surely the most important part is grip. My bike tyre has many different conditions thrown at it, road surface, moisture, temp to name the obvious ones, and I want to know it will stop me as fast is is possible in a variety of conditions.

My tyre is the only contact with the road, so I am happy to compromise on other things, but never the tyre grip.

Think hard when you might compromise for a few miles of perceived long levity on an expensive, and heavy bike. The GT6 claims 15% longevity over the GT5... we will see.

Also, if you ever ride in the wet, think about the depth of the tread. The gap is there to move the water away from under the tyre so you do not aquaplane. So I take mine of a bit before they reach the legal limit.

{added}
Cupping at the front can be pressures from memory, but can also be riding style (breaking hardish into corners, easy with a heavy bike). I guess the high inflation on the front might help with that, but would love to hear it from a tyre expert. (just looked back up the thread, As tvguy says)
I have not suffered noise Dave either.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts