BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does anyone know what would happen if a Metz ME880 on the rear was installed but it was not the reinforced version?

Could the following happen?

Deformation of the sidewall while riding? (Bike loaded with passenger and gear or not)
Loose feeling rear end either going straight or in the twisties?
Loss of traction?

·
Registered
41 Posts
to add to the tire fray... After Reading the threads and searching online
I ended up with Avon
Storm 2 Ultra Radial Street Motorcycle Tires
160/70R17 Rear $169.74
Storm 2 Ultra Radial Street Motorcycle Tires
120/70R17 Front $142.39
subtotal $312.13
shipping Free Shipping
discount: ($20.00)
Taxes $25.56 CA
total to pay $317.69
Mounting and balancing is 20 per tire plus 8.xx for the metal tire valves so roughly 69.00
I'll post back on my experience with Cycle gear and the tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Michelin Commander 160/70B-17 is rated at 73V , 130 MPH , 805 pounds. Is this tire suitable for the LT ? I dont think I have seen it used ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
To Jay Farber. Any update on the performance, handling and miles run on the Avon Storm Ultra 2's? Any other issues develop? Any idea what the load rating is on these tires compared to the Metz 880's? I'm reaching the end of the useful life on a pair of 880's that have 10k miles on them. Just completed first year with this bike so I have no other tire experience with it. Anyone else running Avons please comment.
Thanks
Bob
Lockport, Ny

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
An interesting thread that started a while ago so I'll add my 0.02.....

IMHO, the BEST tire in the rain is the one that has lots of tread. I ran Metz for 50,000 miles and in Florida we get lots of rain, quickly, and I never had a problem with them, as long as they were in good shape. Even the best tires that are worn are asking fro trouble when wet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DanDiver said:

IMHO, the BEST tire in the rain is the one that has lots of tread. I ran Metz for 50,000 miles and in Florida we get lots of rain, quickly, and I never had a problem with them, as long as they were in good shape. Even the best tires that are worn are asking fro trouble when wet.
Excellant point Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got close to 7,500 miles on a set of Avon Storm Ultra 2's so far but will likely replace them with a new set in spring 2013.

I have loved the handling and traction of these tires compared to the ME880 that were on the bike when I bought it over a year ago, especially when it is wet. I am getting some cupping on the front tire already but I do blame myself some on that for not keeping as close of an eye on tire pressure as I should have. I know I let it get too low on a few occasions. Also, due to the nature of the Midwest where I live (very flat and straight) the rear tire already shoes a flat wear section in the middle of the tire.

But even with both of these conditions I can't really deal anything different from the cockpit. I even commented to my wife tonight on a ride we took how smooth the bike rides. I figure as long as I have this particular bike I will stick with the Avons.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
DanDiver said:

I agree too Dan, very much, to a point. I've run both Metzelers and Bridgestones. I love both! Last summer I put 2 new Metzelers on for a fall trip on the BRP. On our first day on the road of a week long trip we had just crossed into NC, were making a right turn at an intersection onto a US Highway and I felt "the shimmy". I also heard in the intercom "What was THAT?" We were 2 up and loaded. I'd felt the shimmy before with Metzelers on wet roads and usually on painted lines which make sense. I had to replace that Metzeler this spring because of a cut and replaced it with a BT020. I just couldn't swallow that Metzeler price again so quickly. I've never had the shimmy (even on wet roads) with the Bridgestones and get nearly the same mileage from Bridgstones as I do Metzelers. For the second time I'm running a ME880 up front and a BT020 on the rear and think it's a good combination.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've run nothing but the Meltzer's that the dealership keeps putting on her and I am thoroughly unimpressed. The front one that came on the bike was separating inside, and I have had to have a rear warranty replaced because it was coming apart. I just noticed yesterday that around 35mph the front gets the death wobble if I do not hold on tight. It just seems like the Metz tires wear out, or fall apart, very quickly. I just want a decent set of tires that can last more than 6 months. I HATE having to deal with my local BMW dealership, but no one else around town wants to touch my bike.

I put a LOT of long, open highway miles on my '02 K1200lt. I am a cruiser, not an 'aggressive' rider. Hauling my daughter and all of her school books (and my big fat butt) and such every day is a LOT of weight. I mostly ride in the dry, but if it is raining on the way home from work, then I just get wet and deal with it.

I have heard that there is a new Metz coming out that is s'posed to be more gooder than the old ones for my K1200 Leopard Tank :bmw: . Any thoughts or opinions on that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
new to this.... hope this is the right place to ask....
have a 2007 k1200 lt....left mirror got knocked off (no note)
anyway....only damage was the plastic trim which covers most of what attaches to the bike.... getting a replacement (expensive) - is this a simple task? to replace said piece?? thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since I owned my 05 k1200LT,I initially rode with Metz M880's getting 34,000 km then tried the newer Bridgestone BattleAx getting 20,000 on 1st set then 16,000 on the 2nd set. I found the Metz to better support the weight of the bike and provide longer mileage. Once the were gone, I returned back to the M880's getting 35,000. With M880's being discontinued, I'm using the newer Ultra M888's and find the ride much better overall. So far I have limited mileage and should experience more riding knowledge and mileage with upcoming new year on the M888's. Being Canadian, my cost for front and rear were 475 with Ontario tax including with free shipping as well. To off matters I'm weighing under 285....LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay... please excuse the newbie... I am new to the LT. I am not an aggressive rider - I like corners, but don't carve them like I used to. For long-term LT riders, which last longer - the Avon or the Metzler? Thanks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Metzeler does but I prefer the Bridgestone BT-020 as it wears about the same as the Metz but sticks in wet stuff much better. I would get about 8-10K out of a rear (this is very subjective and dependent on your riding style). I ran 11 Metz, then switched to BT's and have run 6 of those on the rear in the last 115,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Yes this is on old thread; when I had my LT I always ran Metzelers to the tune of 80,000 miles, Lots of rain, lots of hard riding and never had issues, Rear tire usually would last on the average 6500 miles and I could easily double that for the front................FWIW

41 - 56 of 56 Posts