BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Doughboy said:
Well with a week of riding with Avon Storm 2 under me, I am quite impressed. These tires have increased the turning and feel of the road 100%. I am more confident and am now bothered by the center stand and kick stand which keeps scraping in turns. I do have a real quick turn and sensitivity in the bars now. I wonder if my stock steering damper is working at all?? Can't feel any resistance, just say'in. Don
Same here, but I now have 10 month and 6,000 miles on them. They have worn better that any tire I have had since 1999 (Dunlop, Bridgestone radial and bias, Metzler) handle great, and don't slip in the rain like Metzlers did. I have always looked at tires as the weak spot (right next to final drives) of the LT. This may finally be the solution, it looks like I am going to get 10k of pleasant riding out of the rear tire and more up front.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
This will end the tire discussion once and for all. :D I have used Bridgestone, then went with Metz. What an improvement. Then a friend talked me into Avon Storm 2 Ultras. WOW.

I'm sold, and will never go back to anything else! Best in the twisties by far.

Might as well lock this thread now.... :rolleyes:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I go strickly for the most miles I can get out of a set of tires. I use the ME880 on the front and the run flat Bridgestone BT020 on the rear. Depending on how & where I ride I get 15,000 to 22,000 miles out of them. I'm at about 19,000 miles on this set right now and recently rode almost 150 miles with no air in the rear tire :thumb: . The handling was off in the corners but it felt fine on the slab. I should know in the next 1,000 miles or so if the side wall is still good.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Apples and Oranges, but still fruit:

Where is the best online source for purchasing whatever tires win this discussion?

From the Hall of Wisdom:

Avon Storm 2 Ultras? Not addressed in the HOW

Bridgestone
The new BT020 is reported to be the best balance of traction and mileage.
Front Tire: 120/70R17 BT020 BW TL M 58V V 23.8 4.7 5 520lbs 42psi 3.50
Rear Tire: 160/70R17 BT020 BW TL M 79V V 25.9 6.1 8 963lbs 48psi 4.50

NOTE: These are the "V" rated tires. The "Z" rated tires are not load rated for the K1200LT

Dunlop
Rear tire tends to rub and requires shim for proper spacing.
Front Tire : D205 | Size : 120/70B17 | Loaded PSI : 42
Rear Tire : D205B (F/R) | Size : 160/70B17 | Loaded PSI : 46

Metzeler
The ME880 is the long distance king, but sacrifices a little traction for more mileage.
Front Tire: 120/70 B17 M/C 58V TL ME880 Marathon Front - 2.50 BAR
Rear Tire: 160/70 B17 M/C 79V Reinf. TL ME880 Marathon

Michelin
These tires are no longer available for the K1200LT.
Front Tire: Macadam 50EM 120/70-17 58 V TL/TT
Rear Tire: Macadam 50EM 160/70-17 79 V REINF. TL/TT

I am in the market for a winning tire and am ready to order.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
saddleman said:
...recently rode almost 150 miles with no air in the rear tire.
No AIR in the tire? As in 0 psi? :eek: I didn't know anybody made a RUN FLAT tire for the LT!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Glenn,
Some here are having good service with a Metzeler front, Bridgestone BT020R on the rear. The BT020F wears out in 7-9000 miles. Bridgestone has a new radial BT023 that I put on the front of my 2000 LT last year. The tire was super sticky. Picked up "stuff" off the roadway like a racing slick at first. It wasn't doing that after being scuffed in. The tire never felt steady going down the highway. I was always making lane corrections and had to stay on it to keep it from drifting all over. I don't know what the mileage would have been. The tire went on around 48,000 miles. A 17 year old kid decided I didn't need that LT any longer and knocked it out from under me. That was around 52,000 miles. The tire is still on the LT, but it's in for a redo. Not been ridden since Nov. 10.

And, yes. I am still bitter about being run over! :D

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Lee510 said:
No AIR in the tire? As in 0 psi? :eek: I didn't know anybody made a RUN FLAT tire for the LT!
I didn't either until I tried it :D . At least now I know how far I can ride it with a flat rear tire :yeah: . I wouldn't even think about doing it with the front tire :crazy: . BTW it was one up with about 50lbs of stuff in the side cases.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Where is the best place to order tires online?

thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rockdoc said:
I've had Metzelers and Bridgestones on my bike and I could be said to live in the wetlands! I found the handling slightly sharper with Bridgestones but haven't found a terrific difference in wet-weather performance, although the Metzelers twitched more on road-markings.

I've also found that Bridgestones wear quite a bit more quickly.

Keith
Have you tried the Bridgestone BT-023. On Motorcycle USA they said in this article that the BT-023 has better treadwear with this model.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/402/6841/Motorcycle-Article/Bridgestone-BT-023-Tire-Review.aspx

Thanks
Tommy

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I put a BT-023 radial on the front of my 2000 LT last summer. It always felt like the front was "skating" while in a straight line. I was always making steering corrections. It was plenty sticky. When I first mounted it, stuff was sticking to it like a racing tire. The tire had about 4000 miles on it when the LT became unusable. Probably would have gotten more miles out of it than the BT-020F's I had been using. The tire is still on the LT. When Dave gets her going again, we'll find out what kind of mileage the tire gets.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I had a BT-020R reinforced 79V bias tire. I know you aren't supposed to mix radials and bias on the same axle. I figured that since the LT put them in line, no problem. I had read posts of folks mixing radials and bias and decided to try it. I don't know if it was the combination or just the radial that made the bike not want to track straight. Wear seemed to be much better than the BT020F bias, but given the choice, I wouldn't go with another BT-023 on the front. The new-to-me '05 has Metzelers on it. Might just stay with them when the time comes. Hey, it's only money. Even better, it's my WIFE's money. Well, that's what she says. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
GlennM86 said:
Apples and Oranges, but still fruit:

Where is the best online source for purchasing whatever tires win this discussion?

From the Hall of Wisdom:

Avon Storm 2 Ultras? Not addressed in the HOW

Bridgestone
The new BT020 is reported to be the best balance of traction and mileage.
Front Tire: 120/70R17 BT020 BW TL M 58V V 23.8 4.7 5 520lbs 42psi 3.50
Rear Tire: 160/70R17 BT020 BW TL M 79V V 25.9 6.1 8 963lbs 48psi 4.50

NOTE: These are the "V" rated tires. The "Z" rated tires are not load rated for the K1200LT

Dunlop
Rear tire tends to rub and requires shim for proper spacing.
Front Tire : D205 | Size : 120/70B17 | Loaded PSI : 42
Rear Tire : D205B (F/R) | Size : 160/70B17 | Loaded PSI : 46

Metzeler
The ME880 is the long distance king, but sacrifices a little traction for more mileage.
Front Tire: 120/70 B17 M/C 58V TL ME880 Marathon Front - 2.50 BAR
Rear Tire: 160/70 B17 M/C 79V Reinf. TL ME880 Marathon

Michelin
These tires are no longer available for the K1200LT.
Front Tire: Macadam 50EM 120/70-17 58 V TL/TT
Rear Tire: Macadam 50EM 160/70-17 79 V REINF. TL/TT

I am in the market for a winning tire and am ready to order.
Hi, this is really valuable.
I have the ME880 and was satisfied until I this summer when riding in real rain. Then my LT did skid all the time on the rear in roundabouts, both when riding solo and with full load, (vife and luggage). This never happens on my Fazer with Michelin Pilot road.
I am definately going for something else, probably the Bridgestone.

What do you mean by Rear tire tends to rub and requires shim for proper spacing ?

With love Bjössi

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The rear Dunlop had a history of rubbing against the Driveshaft Housing/Swingarm unless you added an additional spacer ring/shim like the one that is already there.

HTH,

John
BjossiBolla said:
Hi, this is really valuable.
I have the ME880 and was satisfied until I this summer when riding in real rain. Then my LT did skid all the time on the rear in roundabouts, both when riding solo and with full load, (vife and luggage). This never happens on my Fazer with Michelin Pilot road.
I am definately going for something else, probably the Bridgestone.

What do you mean by Rear tire tends to rub and requires shim for proper spacing ?

With love Bjössi

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
bought my 2000 this Sept and it had a pair of BT 023 on it just installed by the seller, I found a Bridgestone Asia tire chart which lists them for the LT - they may not load the bikes up so much - I ride only solo and weight is 175 - they have about 4K miles on them and show very slight wear - have them at max pressure listed on sidewall 42 PSI

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
gary45 said:
I found a Bridgestone Asia tire chart which lists them for the LT - they may not load the bikes up so much
Yeah, I understand motorcycles in Asia have pretty light duty. It looks like the ducks (goose?) hanging from the handle bar are still a quackin'. :rotf:

If you don't want to continue playing chicken you may want to consider replacing that tire with one that is properly rated.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 56 Posts