BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant find a thread on tires that I am looking for on this so here it is. What is the best all around handling tire for wet and cornering for a k1200lt? And best stopping also?/

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Tire mfgs seem to differentiate between pre and post '05 models. From my experience with an '01, the Bridgestone are best all around, but really suck for mileage. I mean REALLY suck.
I've used Metz ME880 and Avon Storm II. Some say that the Avon is better in wet, but I can't say that I noticed the difference. I think, but the thinnest of margines, I like the Metz besterer. Or more better. Maybe even many more betterer (clearly an uneducated speculation).
Then again I don't ride much in the rain, so you might want to wait for someone from the wetlands to answer.
HTH,
Frank

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Frank, Im a michellin man myself and never had used anything else until now. Its not hard to not want to drag a peg with these big girls.. My Concours 14 gave me bad habits.. not tring to be safe and slow.. enjoying it and want to stay safe. Thanks Don

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I've had Metzelers and Bridgestones on my bike and I could be said to live in the wetlands! I found the handling slightly sharper with Bridgestones but haven't found a terrific difference in wet-weather performance, although the Metzelers twitched more on road-markings.

I've also found that Bridgestones wear quite a bit more quickly.

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
I've had Metz since day one and in Florida it can get really wet. I've never had them slip out from under me, but I don't ride aggressively when the road is wet. Not a lot of twisting curves around Florida either..

That being said, I've hears that Bridgestones are best for wet roads, but I have had no A/B road test to verify.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If most of your riding is in the Valley of the Sun, I would stay with a harder compound tire like the Metzeler. I prefer the Bridgestone because I can be riding in the 30's and 40's F in the summer and well below that in the winter. It's no different than car tires. Winter tires have softer compound, summer tires have harder compound. All season tires are a compromise between the two. Softer rubber=shorter tire life=better grip at lower temps. Hard rubber=longer tire life=less grip at lower temps. It's an oversimplification of a complex problem, but I'm a simple guy (my wife spells that simpleton, I'm not sure what that means).

Your mileage may vary,

John

·
Registered
634 Posts
Doughboy said:
. What is the best all around handling tire for wet and cornering for a k1200lt?
In my opinion....
Avon Storm 2 Ultra ...... Radials

Hands down.

·
Registered
860 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Got a Storm radial on the rear and a Metz. Bias on the front. Getting good mileage and rides smouthee. :cool:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Boatzo said:
Got a Storm radial on the rear and a Metz. Bias on the front. Getting good mileage and rides smouthee. :cool:

With all due respect, I wouldn't mix radials with bias... I believe that Metzler recommends to stick with one or the other but only lists radials for the LT and the rear tire must be stamped "REINF" for the weight tolerance of our LT's.

Mugz

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Mugszy said:
With all due respect, I wouldn't mix radials with bias... I believe that Metzler recommends to stick with one or the other but only lists radials for the LT and the rear tire must be stamped "REINF" for the weight tolerance of our LT's.

Mugz
I got my storm radial in a pinch and it was all that was available at the time. The front Metz bias still had lots of tread (still does) so I gave it a shot. No problems at all.

I think you may have it backwards, The Metz sizes and ratings for the LT are Bias. Seems like 05 and later required bias. Prior to 05 the LTs came with radials. In any case, mine are running great.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Way to go Doughboy, see what you started? Just kiddin'. As you see, lots of opinions, and all correct for those that post them.
As for handling, I've drug holes in the sides of both lower fairings, on Metzler, so I'm of the opinion that they're more than capable for hard riding.
Being, I believe, somewhat aggressive, I get 2-3,000 out of the stones, 9,000 out of the Metz, and it looks like I'll be right at 10 or 11,000 on the Avons.
I wouldn't argue with anyone that said the Avons are better than the Metz, but I do like the feel of the Metz slightly more than the Avons. I'm ready for new shoes now, and I'm 99% certain I'll go back to the Metz.
Unfortunately for you, you're going to have to lay down the coin before you figure out what works best for your style of riding, and the depth of your pockets ;)

Frank

·
Registered
511 Posts
Boatzo said:
I got my storm radial in a pinch and it was all that was available at the time. The front Metz bias still had lots of tread (still does) so I gave it a shot. No problems at all.

I think you may have it backwards, The Metz sizes and ratings for the LT are Bias. Seems like 05 and later required bias. Prior to 05 the LTs came with radials. In any case, mine are running great.

I think you are right Bill, it may be bias rather then radial but not one of each, These are the only tires recommended from Metzler's fitment chart: http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/...ehicle=109597&versionVehicle=217377&consent=Y

Mugz

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I've had prolly 7 to 8 sets of BT020 and one set of Metz that I had on my 06 LT for about a week. I did not like them at all and they did not like tar snakes at all either. As has been said, mileage really sucks! I can't imagine why a tire costing over $100 can't last more than 6K in the front and maybe 7K in the rear. Still, I'll buy no other tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are all great.. When I went from Bridgestone stock tires on my concours 14 to the top of the food change, Michelin piolet road 2's, The handling went from a 7.5 to a 10+. They made such handling difference anyone with a butt could tell. Just thank you guys for the impute. I had Avons on my 85 honda interceptor and in the day they were the tire of choice for that bike. These Aircraft carriers are a new breed and trying to make sure the safety and performance is at its utmost is why I ask. Thanks Again. Don :wave

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
johnT said:
I LOVE a tire discussion...

What kind of motor oil do you guys use? :corn:
70% Wesson Canola, 30% Extra Virgin Olive oil. Been using it in all my

vehicles for years! Never had a failure! :rolleyes:

John, you sir, are a troublemaker!!!! :histerica:histerica:histerica

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
wa1200lt said:
70% Wesson Canola, 30% Extra Virgin Olive oil. Been using it in all my

vehicles for years! Never had a failure! :rolleyes:

John, you sir, are a troublemaker!!!! :histerica:histerica:histerica
Add a little unsalted butter to that Loren and you will slide forever :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well with a week of riding with Avon Storm 2 under me, I am quite impressed. These tires have increased the turning and feel of the road 100%. I am more confident and am now bothered by the center stand and kick stand which keeps scraping in turns. I do have a real quick turn and sensitivity in the bars now. I wonder if my stock steering damper is working at all?? Can't feel any resistance, just say'in. Don

1 - 20 of 56 Posts