BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for opinions on the best aftermarket shocks for my 2007 K1200LT?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,921 Posts
You will get a ton of suggestions. Ohlins were the "thing" to have when I ordered them back in 2006 and I was initially happy with them but the rebuild interval of 30 K was costly as so many internal parts needed to be replaced I just did it once and then switched to Wilbers on the next 30 K.

Klaus (EPM Performance [[email protected]]) had me evaluate a new ESA rear shock that they came out with in 2014 and I really liked the ESA part as I was always forgetting to add preload when we went two up. It was nice to do it on the fly. He gave me a half price deal for the evaluation report and I also bought the matching front (not ESA). They should hold up better than the light weight racing Ohlins I had. Still most aftermarket shocks are on a 30 K interval for rebuilds but the Wilbers have larger shafts than the Ohlins.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will get a ton of suggestions. Ohlins were the "thing" to have when I ordered them back in 2006 and I was initially happy with them but the rebuild interval of 30 K was costly as so many internal parts needed to be replaced I just did it once and then switched to Wilbers on the next 30 K.

Klaus (EPM Performance [[email protected]]) had me evaluate a new ESA rear shock that they came out with in 2014 and I really liked the ESA part as I was always forgetting to add preload when we went two up. It was nice to do it on the fly. He gave me a half price deal for the evaluation report and I also bought the matching front (not ESA). They should hold up better than the light weight racing Ohlins I had. Still most aftermarket shocks are on a 30 K interval for rebuilds but the Wilbers have larger shafts than the Ohlins.
Thanks for the reply. I had heard that some didn't like the Ohlins but no info on why. Other than them I was looking at the Wilbers, YSS, and Hyperpro so I'm looking for input on these brands.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,921 Posts
Ohlin's were initially designed for racing thus the light weight. The YSS I have seen have a much larger shaft so i suspect larger internals as well.

·
Premium Member
7,545 Posts
I'm looking for opinions on the best aftermarket shocks for my 2007 K1200LT?
I have Wilburs on mine. That was Ted Porter’s recommendation from the brands that he sells. He said they will hold up the longest ad longevity was high on my priority list.

Reactions: goes2fast

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have had my 2000 for 5 years and it had Wilbers front and rear when I bought it. Love them and it does get ridden. Several Saddle Sore 1000's including just last month and last summer I did the coast to coast ride in just over 45 hours. Never a handling problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have experience with the Hyperpros?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I put Hyperpro springs on my 2010 GSA . They ride a lot better that the stock springs on the ESA shock, but what I put them on for was to lower the bike 40MM:wave

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put Hyperpro springs on my 2010 GSA . They ride a lot better that the stock springs on the ESA shock, but what I put them on for was to lower the bike 40MM:wave
Thanks, I have heard that their springs were a big improvement but have found no reviews on their shocks.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I got the rear TFX shock from Ted Porter ( beamershop) and have been very happy with it. Longer rebuild interval, Monster 15mm preload adjuster compared to the Ohlin that I have heard will blow out long before the TFX. Going to get the front next year to match.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts