BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to be in San Jose on Friday, June 22 for a business meeting beginning at 1:30 p.m.

I would like to ride up on Thursday and come back on Sunday.

Has anyone any suggestions for a nice route up and back? Any input would be suggested.

Thanks.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you're not pressed for time, I'd go up the back side of the mountains on 395 to 89 (through South Lake Tahoe) or 49 (lotsa twisties) and come back on 99. Both roads avoid the heavy truck traffic of the interstates.

The 1 may be OK during the week, but it may be foggy & wet.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If time is not an issue then I would look at going up route 33 from Ojai to Coalinga, then 198 to 25 to Hollister and then 101 into San Jose. Much more variety of scenery than I-5, rolling hills and ranches, runs roughly parallel to I-5 and 101.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions!

I just did the Ojai up to Coalinga for the Cambria ride. Fred, you are so right it is a great ride!

Time is not an issue as I will leave on Thursday.

Thanks again. :)

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Pacific Coast Highway, regardless of weather.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DavidTaylor said:
Thanks David.

I will probably take PCH back down on either Saturday or Sunday.

Take Care.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Lopaca said:
I have to be in San Jose on Friday, June 22 for a business meeting beginning at 1:30 p.m.

I would like to ride up on Thursday and come back on Sunday.

Has anyone any suggestions for a nice route up and back? Any input would be suggested.
DavidTaylor said:
PCH + 1. BUT, any non-interstate highway will be a great ride!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Highway 58 the unknown road.

We all know that 210 -- 5 -- pechaco pass -- san jose is probably the fastest and the dullest. :( I did that 2 weeks ago and made good time. On the way back I stopped at my favorite Wineries in Paso and then east on 46 to Shandon (just past junction of 41 and 46), South on Shandon San Juan Rd (n35`39.319 w120`21.821 -- this is a tiny farm road that runs between the fields of grapes and you are sure that you are on the wrong road. :confused: But it is open and does get you to 58) >> Shell Creek Rd >> Hway 58 >> east Mckittrick. There you have a choice 33 south or 58 to 5. You can stay on 33 all the way to Ojai and then 126 back to 210. But that is really a long day.
I have also run 58 from 5 to 101. There is NO ONE on that road and it gives you a bit of everything.
Highway 58 the unknown road. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts