BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I may do a camping trip there this weekend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have ridden many, many roads in S.W. Wisconsin in the last 15 years.
In my opinion, the best curvy roads are found north of the Wisconsin River, south of I-90/94, east of the Mississippi River and west of Baraboo.

There are great roads around Richland Center, Ontario, Gays Mills, and Viroqua.
131, which follows the Kickapoo River is a nice road. Any road with "alphabet" letters is a good bet. (ex. G, F, GG, B and X) The River Road is always a nice relaxing ride up towards LaCrosse. Best bet is to just get lost on roads that look good to you. Do loops and figure eights and enjoy.

There is a park in Lansing, Iowa that has a nice overlook of the Mighty Miss. You may have to ask someone where the entrance is located. Well worth a ride up to the top and take that first turn in 1st gear.
Keith

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wildcat Mountain state park near LaCrosse

·
Registered
832 Posts
ChiefMn said:
Wildcat Mountain state park near LaCrosse
Yes, that is on Hwy. 33 near Ontario. It actually has a couple of switchback curves.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Most of the "back roads" in WI are paved, and not gravel as they are in MN. Most all roads near the Mississippi are great.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
kk610lt said:
Yes, that is on Hwy. 33 near Ontario. It actually has a couple of switchback curves.
If you're near La Crosse, WI, to the Northeast is Wisconsin Trunk 108, between West Salem and Mindoro. There you'll find a couple hairpins and the Mindoro cut. Worth the ride from Chicago to ride it, at least for me. :D

And as Keith most helpfully pointed out ... anything West of Madison along the WI river. North of the river being more interesting than South, but both are very well worth the ride.
All depends on where you'll be. I love mapping GPS routes in those areas.

HTH,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Closer to Fairfield would be the backroads between Platteville and Argyle with Mineral Point to the North and Darlington to the South. Nice brewery in MP.

Jer

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone for these excellent suggestions. It is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I like Wisconsin 39 going west out of New Glarus. Its not very twisty, which is a good thing if you like the view as it follows the ridge for miles. There is a good little coffee shop named Fat Cat Coffee Works on Railroad Street just south of 6th Ave, which is 39. Just a block or two up (emphasis on up) sixth is the New Glarus Hotel and Restaurant. Depending on the time of day, eating there or going to the bakery across the street is good before you head off.

Also, the state has some great Rustic Roads in every county. Keep an eye out for the brown signs with yellow letters. They are all paved, and well maintained.

I do not know if they still do it, but you used to be able to take 10 pictures of you and your ride and the numbered Rustic Road signs, then send the images into the State and they send you back a patch. You can google Wisconsin Rustic Roads and they have maps showing the locations and perhaps they still do the patch thing. There is rarely a need to get past 3rd gear.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ok....so, did you go to Wisconsin? If so, how was the riding?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts