BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a common discussion; however, I'd like to hear from you on your GPS setups -- I previously had the BMW Nav ll on my LT, and was NOT a fan of that GPS unit.

I'm looking for a new GPS that easily allows you to plug in an address/location and get you there; additionally, I'm leaning towards getting the 'Interphone F4' - I hear good things about that unit and connection to GPS, helmet to helmet, and cell would be great!

FYI - really enjoying the new GT!!! :dance:

-Stephen

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Don't know about GPS but what kind of OIL do you use ?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I've never even heard of the Intephone GPS so you probably have more info than most of us already...

I've had my Garmin 2730 since they came out... It does the job...But recently I've seen nice GPS's on the bargain table at Best Buy for 49.00 that look like they would be just as good..

I'm sure there are a lot of opinions about GPS's hence the oil reference...

Good Luck with your search..

John

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Hmm, I think that's what all GPSs are supposed to do, right? :)

I use a Zumo 550. My opinion, just about anything from Garmin is good. And they make motorcycle specific units with a variety of features.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you ride in the rain your choices are reduced. I currently use a Zumo 550, love it. I previously used a 2720, only complaint was the screen, couldn't see it well in bright sunlight.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I have had a Garmin Zumo 660 for a year, and I like it a lot. The Zumo 665 is the same, except that it also supports XM radio, traffic, and weather and costs more.

Garmin's phone and email support teams are exemplary. You do have to wait on hold for a while to get through, but once you do, they are very capable.

A few weeks ago, Garmin released a firmware update for the Zumo 660 (and other models). The update wasn't just bug fixes, they added significant feature improvements, including two new map display formats so you can see more data fields while riding. How often do manufacturers do that? Did BMW add new features to your bike when your dealer upgraded the firmware?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Maybe biased cause I own one ... but the older Garmin 276C and it's more current units offer the best of all attributes IMO.
Screen viewable in direct sunlight
Fully water proof
Internal battery so you can carry it if needed
Voice prompts if desired
Full marine usage too ... which is it's original application.

JMO ....

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
DROID. GPS, phone, apparently etc. It out performed any GPS I have ever owned.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
How does it work as a GPS when you are out of cell phone range? Does it carry its own maps internally?
Never been out of range anywhere with Verizon. That is just with my travels though, does not mean that there are places that do not exist where there is no signal. The phone also has a 16 gb memory, so maps can be downloaded onto it, I would presume.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
sheldan2 said:
DROID. GPS, phone, apparently etc. It out performed any GPS I have ever owned.
How does it work in the rain? :D

I have a Droid and the navigation is great; I use it in the car all the time. I still the 550 for the bike, though. It's designed to handle that environment.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My Garmin zumo 550 is on its third motorcycle now and is still going strong. I LOVE IT! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Garmin Zumo 660 is probably the best rpoduct out there (the 665 is the same product with satellite radio).Make sure you buy a traffic receiver with it. It's worth the 50 or so bucks, especially if you live/drive in a an area with heavy trafic.

The Interphone F4 is a great product. To be honest, wasn't aware it was sold in the US! The Cardo G4 is a viable alternative.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
dfmz said:
The Garmin Zumo 660 is probably the best rpoduct out there (the 665 is the same product with satellite radio).Make sure you buy a traffic receiver with it. It's worth the 50 or so bucks, especially if you live/drive in a an area with heavy trafic.

The Interphone F4 is a great product. To be honest, wasn't aware it was sold in the US! The Cardo G4 is a viable alternative.
I bought a used GTM-12 antenna from eBay for my Zumo 660 and paid ($60?) for the lifetime traffic subscription that goes with it. The traffic subscription is provided by ClearChannel, and is transmitted from their FM radio stations.

(If you have a Zumo 550 or Zumo 665, you can also pay a monthly subscription for XM, which offers a traffic option.)

My experience with the GTM-12 and ClearChannel traffic has been marginal at best. I live in Southern California and good reliable traffic info would be helpful. Most of the time I am in heavy traffic, it doesn't show up on the screen. If you want to see a traffic speed map (red, yellow, green) the Zumo hides a lot of other useful details. The traffic feature seems to be based more on incidents, rather than actual traffic speeds. There was one time where an accident closed the freeway ahead of me, and it reported the problem - first as a delay, and eventually as a closure.

One good thing - I have been on several very long distance rides, including one across the country, and found that it picks up a traffic signal in most urban and even some fairly remote areas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts