BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a BMR co-pilot shelf for the sole purpose of installing a GPS (maybe even my valentine one). I currently have a garmin GPS that's works great. It has a suction cup that I can adhere to the shelf but I am worried it won't be 100% secure. ..The wiring I assume is pretty straight forward as I can install a plug for the power. I am not too worried about the GPS not being waterproof since I don't often ride in the rain.

My questions are:

1. What GPS would be adequate for the LT? Do I really need to get the Nuvi 550 or 650 for the LT?
2. What type of holder works best for a GPS on the LT?
3. Any straight forward wiring suggestions?
4. Any other suggestions?

BTW, my LT is an 05 and it has the GPS mounts but the PO never purchased the GPS for the bike. My guess is that the GPS mounted there might not be the optimum position.

Thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you're not to worried about the gps getting wet I would go with a cheaper unit with the largest screen possible.

You can tie the audio into the bikes radio if you have an aux port like on the voice II system.

For power tap into the map light. The mounting system is universal I bought the one BMR sells that mounts to the Shelf or go with a tourtech mount cost's a bit more but very nice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
1. What GPS would be adequate for the LT? Do I really need to get the Nuvi 550 or 650 for the LT? 2. What type of holder works best for a GPS on the LT? 3. Any straight forward wiring suggestions? 4. Any other suggestions? BTW said:
Here is a photo of how my Garmin 550 is mounted on the BMR shelf. I used the GPS mount that came in the box with the GPS.

I ran my wiring through the map light straight to the battery.

Hope this gives you an idea of how to mount yours.

Cheers,
Bill
05 K1200LT

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts