BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking off my right side mirror and a piece of the inner (black in color) plastic part broke off. It is relatively small but it sort of gives the metal part (that wraps around the round nut) some stability.

Can you recommend a secure and permanent glue? I read that JB weld is pretty good for this type of repair. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Glenn

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Look on the part for an identification marking. I think the mirror parts are ABS, which can be adhesive bonded. Plastic water pipe is ABS, so APS pipe cement will bond it.

However, it will only have appreciable strength in SHEAR (surfaces sliding apart), not much in TENSION (surfaces being pulled away from each other.

Unfortunately, most breaks that need gluing put the joint in tension. Without a lot of surface area, a tension joint will rarely hold well. They require some additional reinforcement, such as cross joint "lacing", or a piece of material glued across the joint for shear.

If the plastic is Polyethylene or Polypropylene (PE/PP), you must reinforce the joint externally. No adhesive works well, most not at all on these plastics.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have tried to use JB Weld on those mirror pieces with no luck. I would say that unless you have some other means of retaining the pieces together the JB Weld will not itself be adequate.

I have used a 2-part epoxy made by Loctite that is made specifically for plastic. It comes in one of those double tube epoxy packages at the hardware store. This fix has been holding for a few hundred miles, but as with any adhesive product, the fit and amount of surface area will determine how well it holds.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Try this fix Clickey-click
Go to my second post with larger photos.

Worked for me. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.