BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I bought the excellent BMW branded cover for my LT.
It has a provision for the antenna, and the top case can be opened without removing the cover.
In the Nicaraguan sun, it only lasted 8 months and the top part pretty much turned from back to light purple, turned really thin and then just dissolved.

Any ideas on what to get instead?

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
It has a provision for the antenna, and the top case can be opened without removing the cover.
In the Nicaraguan sun, it only lasted 8 months and the top part pretty much turned from back to light purple, turned really thin and then just dissolved.

Not sure anything will take that environment. If you could find something made from Sunbrella, you should get a few years out of it. I use a cover from E-Z Touring that is made from something like parachute material. I only use it while traveling and most for overnight parking, so it sees only a little sun. It has held up well for 11 years now, but again, not in the sun all day. At least the E-Z Touring covers are much cheaper than anything that has BMW on it.

I am fortunate to have a garage for my LT so no need for a cover when not traveling.

Reactions: Ricky Chuck

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
Not sure anything will take that environment. If you could find something made from Sunbrella, you should get a few years out of it. I use a cover from E-Z Touring that is made from something like parachute material. I only use it while traveling and most for overnight parking, so it sees only a little sun. It has held up well for 11 years now, but again, not in the sun all day. At least the E-Z Touring covers are much cheaper than anything that has BMW on it.

I am fortunate to have a garage for my LT so no need for a cover when not traveling.
LOL, based on this I just went to E-Z Touring and looked around, found The Wanderer, ok, great, oh look right at the top, Size A!

Size A is for all full dressers, including Harley, Venture, Honda1000-1200, BMW with travel trunk and R1xxxGS. Approx. bag size 10″ long, 5″ diameter. $115.00

Sounds plenty big...but no, lol...down at the bottom...SIZE X!

Size X is for the Cavalcade, Voyager, and Honda 1500/6, BMW K1200LT. Approx. bag size 12″ long, 5″ diameter. $118.00

The LT brings up the rear like an Australian Six-Trailer Semi :). Ordering, thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Picked up an E-Z Touring for the LT at the Des Moines rally on a good recommendation. Fits very nicely, but no top box access or port for antenna. Not a game stopper for me. Small business owner that I have no affiliation with.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Picked up an E-Z Touring for the LT at the Des Moines rally on a good recommendation. Fits very nicely, but no top box access or port for antenna. Not a game stopper for me. Small business owner that I have no affiliation with.

Have fun,
Jer
I have the Traveler cover which is basically a 1/2 cover or a little more. It tucks in between the trunk and both antennas quite nicely. I liked my Kawasaki Voyager as it had a folding antenna which made installation of any cover a piece of cake.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Picked up an E-Z Touring for the LT at the Des Moines rally on a good recommendation. Fits very nicely, but no top box access or port for antenna.
Jer
Funny when I bought the big full cover they gave me two plastic grommets for the antennas. You just had to make the hole yourself. Of course I called them for the order as it came with one and I asked for the second. I'll bet if you call them they will send you a set.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

I don't know about standing up to Nicaraguan sun. But i bought a Tour King cover. It goes over the topcase,but behind the antenna masts. So far it does it's Job.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about standing up to Nicaraguan sun. But i bought a Tour King cover. It goes over the topcase,but behind the antenna masts. So far it does it's Job.

Yeah,

I bought one from them and it was very good. It lasted two years I believe.
The only issue was the antena. Was tired of removing it.

Guess I have to buy another one from them.

Nicaragua is in Central America, so the sun light is almost coming straight down. The sides of the covers are fine.
And we get sunshine most days.

Not very ginger friendly here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
+1 for the EZ Touring Traveler half cover. Packs up nice and small (yeah, it really will go back into that little bag). Mine has held up great for about 10 years, but similar to a previous poster, it hasn't been used much in the sun. In addition to packing convenience, I also like that the half cover doesn't have quite as much surface to act as a sail in windy conditions.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Another +1 on the E-Z Touring cover. I had it for several years, using it on the occasional trip. But when I lived and worked in New Orleans the K1200LT was parked outside fulltime. It lasted most of a year before deteriorating to the point where one day it split in half. Not a fault of the manufacturer; UV is a killer.

I also added 2 grommets to mine, to accommodate the AM/FM and CB antennae.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yeah,

I bought one from them and it was very good. It lasted two years I believe.
The only issue was the antena. Was tired of removing it.

Guess I have to buy another one from them.

Nicaragua is in Central America, so the sun light is almost coming straight down. The sides of the covers are fine.
And we get sunshine most days.

Not very ginger friendly here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The antenna? My cover goes over the topcase behind the antenna masts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not the BEST Cover but I've had a good experience with the Ultragard 4-458G Half Cover. Inexpensive ($40 USD) and it fits like it was made for the LT.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts