BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 55 MPH with the cruise on, the little woman and I with a full load, encountered a cutout in the asphalt on a county road in MI. It was basically the equivalent of hitting a full size curb dead on at speed. I would love to tell you that we stayed up as a direct result of my completing Dave Hough's book, but I think it had more to do with my lucky bell hanging under the starboard side saddlebag.
Regardless I ended up with a bent front rim that is tolerable and has been inspected, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck with and has the name of someone that straightens rims. It is my intention to finish the season then ship it out once the snow flies. Would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
JFD

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'd start huntin' the salvage yards for a front rim. My life & the life of my passenger are worth it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Somewhat the same happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Sweeping off ramp, hit a pot hole leaning to the right. The rim did what it was supposed to do, but got severely bent on the right edge. I know that many have had the rim straightened, but the 499.95 for a new rim is a small price to pay for safety. We drop $800 for a suit that protects us without questioning it. If the aluminum is soft enough to bend, I don't trust it a second time. One man's opinion, YMMV....Best, Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts