BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a problem with bending the bolts on the J Pegs?? I have gone through about three sets.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
How are you bending them? The only sets I've bent were when I dropped the bike on them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seem to bend them when I extend my legs. I don't have long legs 30" inseam. I can't see spending $40 for new bolts.. Any ideas where to find replacements..I have droped the bike but I don't think they bend then.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
If they are extended when you drop the bike, then that is when you are bending them. DAMHIK. :eek:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I noticed mine were bent after buying the bike. I threaded a nut on the end, put the nut in a vise and tapped the bold until it was straight, an easy fix

Ron

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I busted mine on a "layover".

I bought replacements though Mcmaster Carr, but, could only get the carbon and the shoulder length was a little "long". Bottom line was it works, but, has a bit of the ole "Walt Disney" to her :D

I can't imagine bending the shoulder bolt without trauma. Careful of the threads, steel bolt, aluminum threads, strips easier than "Spitzer's Friend" ;) and probably just as expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found mine at MSC Industrial Supply. Item # 67554600

Description:

Shoulder Screws/Stripper Bolts - 18-8 Stainless Steel Type: Stripper Bolts/Shoulder Screws Shoulder Diameter: 1/2 Shoulder Length: 1-1/2 Thread Size: 3/8-16 Material: Stainless Steel - 18-

Price each - $7.3060
Shipping, Handling & Surcharge $9.23
Tax $2.86

If I hadn't reached over a little to far at that toll both I really wouldn't even need this info.

IBA # 30413

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know what you mean about bending, the situation gets worse if you drop the J-pegs lower, ( previous post). but what you can bo is make a cap to join the ends of the 2 bolts, they then support each other and problem solved, see the attached pic, I do not know if the pics got through. basicly, drilled 2 holes in a piece of steel the the bolt heads fit into, rounded the metal off, drilled and tapped two holes in the side of the block for alan head screws to lock against the bolt. works great

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
brianf70 said:
I seem to bend them when I extend my legs. I don't have long legs 30" inseam. I can't see spending $40 for new bolts.. Any ideas where to find replacements..I have droped the bike but I don't think they bend then.
It's possible to bend them when you drop the bike even of they aren't extended for use (DAMHIK). My guess is that's when it happened. I've had JPegs on all my LTs and used them extensively both in the conventional "foot prop" mode as well as some time with my legs resting on top of the extended pegs, and never bent a bolt until a tip-over event. I know guys who have actually stood up/pulled themselves up on the JPegs while riding to stretch their legs and that didn't bend bolts, either. I even had a set basically survive a high side accident that totaled my 02 LT, only the bolt used as the stop was bent, and then only very slightly.

If you do decide to buy replacement bolts our own Raffy has an online shop where you can get them. Link is below.

http://motogear4you.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=67&osCsid=1ce96f218809c38e977b70bd87f647cd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts