BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had new Metz put on and the tech told me that my front rim was bent. It is only visible when the wheel is spinning and he was able to balance the tire. It is not possible to see it or any mark when the wheel is not moving. There is no noticeable damage on the rim and riding at 80 MPH is as smooth as silk. I am not aware of hitting anything very hard and it feels safe. I can even take my hands off of the handlebars at highway speed with no wobble or movement. I have the web site of a company that can straighten it to factory specs for around $200 and wonder if it is really necessary.

http://www.framestraightsystem.com/

Has anyone experienced this and what did you do?

·
Registered
675 Posts
From what you describe it wouldn't seem necessary to "fix" it. If it were mine I would do one more check though ----- an aggressive high speed ( work progressively up to this) stop. You wouldn't want to find out during the real thing that a 200 dollar repair could have made a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
that front wheel is expensive....($500 ?)
I bent mine and had to replace it and they got the wrong wheel first time around (there are two for our LT's)
If you can't feel it at speed................well.......???

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
85 MPH and "Nothing"

Just got back from a short trip on the interstate and I'm amazed at how smooth it rides. I did several quick stops with nothing out of the ordinary happening. Guess I'll leave it alone and scuff up the new tires for the next 100 miles or so. Rim could have been this way for quite a while. Strange thought that there are no marks on it! and I don't ever remember hitting anything hard enough to give it the slight bend. Still got the mirrors attached.

·
Registered
71 Posts
jorawro said:
From what you describe it wouldn't seem necessary to "fix" it. If it were mine I would do one more check though ----- an aggressive high speed ( work progressively up to this) stop. You wouldn't want to find out during the real thing that a 200 dollar repair could have made a difference.
i did that this weekend, my rim is noticably bent, and i will tell ya at 140mph+ it was still smooth, i have original tires with 15k miles and everything was fine, and this was towards the end of a 1250 mile trip, i would rest easy on this one, now if it were cracked, thats a different story alltogether.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
If the wheel holds true, I would leave it alone. The worst case is that the tire would wear out a little faster but then if it is balanced...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I thought

ibbones said:
If the wheel holds true, I would leave it alone. The worst case is that the tire would wear out a little faster but then if it is balanced...
Guess that is what balancing is for.......... seems to be working. Off to the fish tank! Shark tank needs to be cleaned

1 - 9 of 9 Posts