BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever bent their centerstand. I felt it give a little the other day when I was putting it up and discovered today that it will not stay on the center stand. It wants to roll forward. Not good, only my lighting quick cat reflexes and 295lbs of muscle LOL kept it from going over.

Anybody had any luck removing a center stand and straighting it out and reinstalling one, or do I need to get a new one? $$$$$$

Attachments

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I bent my sidestand. Took it to a welding shop and had the guy anneal it with a torch, he then simply bent in back into shape in a vise. $20.00. A little work with a drill mounted rotary wire brush to remove the remaining burned powder coating, followed with several coats of Rustoleum Industrial Enamel. Badabing - good as new!

He told me the key to doing it properly was to raise the temperature of the metal slowly - he said if you did it too fast it can cause it to get brittle?

To make it easy to take the springs off extend the centerstand fully, and jam pennies into each "coil" the length of the springs. Retract the centerstand. Makes it easy to take off and reinstall with just a pair of small vice grips to grab the hook at the end of the spring. ;)

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had an issue with mine where the cross bar broke where it attaches to the two legs. It appeared to be weld decay as it broke about 1/8 inch from the welds. It was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a million Ron, what a great tip with the pennies. That should do the trick. I can only imagine what BMW charges for a new one.$$$$$ This is why this site is great. Great people and machines.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Repairing your center stand would certainly be the cheapest way to go. If that is not possible, you might contact one of the companies that do trike conversions and see if they have any of the centerstands lying around that they would sell at low cost.

·
Registered
263 Posts
astuber said:
Repairing your center stand would certainly be the cheapest way to go. If that is not possible, you might contact one of the companies that do trike conversions and see if they have any of the centerstands lying around that they would sell at low cost.
Good idea. The only company that is currently converting LT's is Hannigan.

The Hannigan's are a great couple (I had the fortune to meet them at Americade). I bet they would be happy to help you out.

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/home.html

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
amsoilguy said:
Thanks a million Ron, what a great tip with the pennies. That should do the trick. I can only imagine what BMW charges for a new one.$$$$$ This is why this site is great. Great people and machines.
Yep, you might want to inspect your welds closely. I would strip the powder coating off - I know there is some sort of a dye that you can apply and it will show if they are going to cut loose - I'll bet some of the guys here will know what I am talking about....

You can find used sidestands and centerstands on E-bay frequently from the side car manufacturers. I've seen winning bids typically go for about 25% of new...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts