BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm excited about the prospect of attending CCR 2013 in Bend. Even though it's too early to know if I'll be able to attend, I've already started checking out different routes. I'd love to make a 2 1/2 or 3 week trip out of it.

Here are some resources I've found so far. What do you use??

http://motorcycleroads.com/

http://www.roadtripusa.com/index.html

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I use mapquest to see what the options are and then to find out what happens when I start adding in detours for FUN stuff.

I use it to have rainy day plans for routes along the way.

I use it to brake up routes into sections I plan on riding in one day and make notes of places i can stay if I wind up at the end of that section.

Like you, I will be researching fun rides to consider along the way.

I see Mexacali could be along one route; Salton Sea? in CA might be interesting. Looks as if Motoport could be on the way. Route 1 along the coast?

Lots of nice twisties no too far from the coast.

Once I've got all of the information I need I download it into my garmin. Laying out routes using the Garmin is a BIG PITA!!

I never could figure out the Garmin software for planning routes.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
169 Posts
Our little group uses different motorcycle forums, google earth, Microsoft streets and trips and friends.

When we travel the Northwest we also use Destination Highway maps quite heavily. These are a series of maps, books really covering Washington, California and British Colombia. Roads are rated by several criteria including scenery, road quality, road engineering, twistiness factor, traffic, etc. You get the idea.

When we are planning a route and are able to get one or several of the more highly rated roads in the mix, we do. Destination Highways has proven to be a good thing.

Here's a linky: http://destinationhighways.com/

--bob

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
OR....you could ask guys like me that live here. We kinda know about the cool places to ride. All ya gotta' do is tell us what you like, we'll point you in the right direction. Not only on road, but off too.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once I've got all of the information I need I download it into my garmin. Laying out routes using the Garmin is a BIG PITA!!

I never could figure out the Garmin software for planning routes.

Best from Tucson
Bob[/QUOTE]

I just got the zumo 665 and am trying to figure out how to use BaseCamp and the routing features. It is compicated for me!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
dthogey said:
I'm excited about the prospect of attending CCR 2013 in Bend. Even though it's too early to know if I'll be able to attend, I've already started checking out different routes. I'd love to make a 2 1/2 or 3 week trip out of it.

Here are some resources I've found so far. What do you use??

http://motorcycleroads.com/

http://www.roadtripusa.com/index.html
Hey...you will love the open country of Oregon and the Pacific North West. I moved out here 12 years from Detroit Mi and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fwkraft said:
Hey David, we are "all in" talked about it last night again... Would like to hit Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone & Glacier enroute. Probably fly Tina to Denver and home from Oregon.

if Vicki goes, more than likely she will not do much riding in route. that weekend is too close to when the kids start school

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello All :wave

It's been a long two/three years since the last ride with the CCR (Midway, UT it was),

And this upcoming event to Bend, OR is Exciting and this location is in the back yard of my in-laws that have a 50 acre ranch on the McKenzie River down in Springfield, OR.

The ride up Hwy 126 from there, leading into Sisters (coined Three Sisters) is Amazing and follows along the River a good portion of the way up.

During certain parts of the season, there's a turn-off through one portion of the state park that should be open, that takes back roads into Sisters/towards Bend as well.

And for anyone interested, there's the well known Christmas Treasures House located along the Hwy to visit as well. http://www.christmas-treasures.com/

We will be visiting family up there this holiday and If there are any other requests for info, please email me back and we'll be happy to pitch in, as I Definitely plan to get back into the swing of things and be apart of this event.

Regarding mapping, I have a 7 inch Samsung Tablet (3G / WiFi) being integrated into my ray space, and Google Latitude allows for tracking which can keep the main group informed as to where were at along the route. I hope to also integrate a streaming webcam as well.

I'll be heading up from Long Beach, Ca. Specific Route going up has yet to be planned, but if anyone is interested in tagging along, would love to have the company.

We may just swing past the ranch on the way up as well :)

DanH

·
Registered
628 Posts
Consider making a list of all the spots you know you want to visit and then, gasp, plot them on a paper map for general reference. Find your first destination from Michigan and put it in your GPS as a Waypoint/Favoite. You might put in a bunch of these and build route segments right on your GPS or you can simply use the address option to put them in one after the other while you are traveling. My wife and I travel a lot (about 20K a year) and have been pretty happy with this "on-the-fly" approach. Rarely do we build whole routes anymore, even when we are doing 24hr rallies and the like. In fact, sometimes, when we know time is not really critical, with the waypoint in, we turn off the routing and just leave the maps on, just wandering in the general intended direction, and then punch in the destination when we've had our fill of being lost. You seem to be thinking about an extended adventure so build in the option of taking suggestions from people you encounter which will change your destinations and routes sometimes as often as hourly.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
docedkin said:
Consider making a list of all the spots you know you want to visit and then, gasp, plot them on a paper map for general reference. Find your first destination from Michigan and put it in your GPS as a Waypoint/Favoite. You might put in a bunch of these and build route segments right on your GPS or you can simply use the address option to put them in one after the other while you are traveling. My wife and I travel a lot (about 20K a year) and have been pretty happy with this "on-the-fly" approach. Rarely do we build whole routes anymore, even when we are doing 24hr rallies and the like. In fact, sometimes, when we know time is not really critical, with the waypoint in, we turn off the routing and just leave the maps on, just wandering in the general intended direction, and then punch in the destination when we've had our fill of being lost. You seem to be thinking about an extended adventure so build in the option of taking suggestions from people you encounter which will change your destinations and routes sometimes as often as hourly.

This sounds like a good plan. I know there are several places I want to see like glacier, beartooth pass etc.... but what about the places I don't know about?? Not sure how to find them. Just stay tuned in here and do lots of investigating on line. There are lots of good resourceful sites out there.

The other problem is figuring out this Zumo 665 to it's full capacity!

I have a lot of time!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
It sounds like you are warming up for a great time although you may be trying to do it all. Hummmm. First, I think, is figuring out how you are going to "get out of Dodge." Options: 1) head south for a line under Chicago. 2) take the ferry from Mich. to Wisconsin or 3) go up, over the bridge, and across the UP. Your rout across the Plains will be somewhat dictated by this first decision. If it were me, with your time, I'd draw sort of the flatened oval on a US map. Given the time frame, I'd go north to start and wander across the UP, over US 2, headed roughly for Glacier, and then over to Bend. Coming home, I'd slide over to the Oregon coast, down to the Calif. Redwoods, and then head east through Yosemite, Arches, Yellowstone, Rocky Mt. NP, and then across on one of the US highways (look at what US 36 and US 50 do, for instance. A few years ago, we went coast to coast on US 50 and had a blast. That oval, traveled counter clockwise, will keep you a little lower coming home remembering that you have to cross the Rockies after Labor Day. Snow comes early to some of the passes. Maybe aim for someplace like Hannibal, MO. (boyhood home of Mark Twain) as a target. That will set you up for a route under Chicago and entry back into Michigan. Once you have the big picture sort of laid out, you can begin to fill in the specific sights and or actual roads you don't want to miss. For instance, you may want to ride the ridge road at Custer NP or you may want to go over Bear Tooth and focus on the wonderful museum in Cody, WY. The Iron Butt Association has a National Parks Tour program where, as a base plan, you do any fifty parks in at least twenty-five states in a year or less. If you start with that goal, you can get a National Park map and, using that big oval model, plot a general route that will get you to the target numbers. (The NPT GOLD, the IBA's big option, requires you to hit Wash., Calif., Florida, and Maine but the basic IBA NP Tour is not restrictive at all. Search the IBA site for specifics.) . One more general organization plan: the Glacier Lakes Motorcycle Club, open to anybody, offers a Grand Tour every year. They set a theme: this year it was "All The Way With USA." The game required us to document visits to towns that start with U or S or A. Going to and coming from Duluth this year, my wife and I plotted a general off-Interstate route that took us across the country hitting as many USA sites going and coming as we could find. Our finishing total was somewhere north of 300. The GPS got a workout, we went places we would have never considered, traveled over roads we otherwise would have avoided,and we got a lesson about what small town America is all about. I could go on for pages about this stuff: I love it and I'm excited for you to work out a scheme or theme that works for you. Last tip: get a good camera.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Alas....... :(

Have got to work for a couple more years of work(2 to be exact) then I can start catching up with you guys/girls at this gathering......see ya in '14, wherever.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
FrankNitti said:

Have got to work for a couple more years of work(2 to be exact) then I can start catching up with you guys/girls at this gathering......see ya in '14, wherever.
Most of us work to but we just plain our vacations around CCR. If not for CCR I would have never had the chance to ride to so many cool locations & meet so many nice people. :bike:

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am thinking of going to the CCR;but have my wife fly to Denver and I would pick her there and continue on to Oregon.Spend time with her there in Bend Or.and let her fly back home home from Oregon.
Anyway my point is if anybody else has the same interest;I would have about 3-weeks for this event to work with;so anybody in or around Michigan area has the same interest;let me know we go together and make neat trip out it I think;REALLY I AM PRETTY EASY GUY TO GET ALONG WITH.

Gary and Mary
2003 LT 1200

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
katnapinn said:
Most of us work to but we just plain our vacations around CCR. If not for CCR I would have never had the chance to ride to so many cool locations & meet so many nice people. :bike:

I agree with that statement 100% :D

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
FrankNitti said:

i don't know how you're going to catch up, as you're already behind. :wave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts