BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, .....getting references to archives that talk about using speed bleeders and that flushing the ABS is a great thing to do....and a very brief mention from David Spargue about using a syringe to backflush brake fluid through the "Control Circuit" (Is that the ABS UNIT).....but have yet to find anything that talks specifically about flushing the ABS Unit.

Has anyone actually flushed an ABS unit on a non-integrated, non-servo 2000 LT??

If so, could you possibly post a step by step procedure on what tools (syringes??) are needed and how this is done.

If someone will post clear step by step instructions on how this is done , I will do it AND take pictures for a possible Hall of Wisdom archive.

Seems to me that if this procedure that costs nothing more than some time and the cost of a bottle of Dot 4, and has the potential to save everyone with an indication of ABS unit failure....that does it $3000...........that it should be a well documented procedure.

Get me started and I will take the pics and lets see if we can's get a clear DIY tutorial put together.

Brian in Austin

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
ok, I think that when you flush from the reservoir to the caliper,you are flushing through the ABS module. Just read the manual and that is what it seems like.
There is nothing special on an ABS equipped car either I believe.

dan

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DanMartin said:
ok, I think that when you flush from the reservoir to the caliper,you are flushing through the ABS module. Just read the manual and that is what it seems like.
There is nothing special on an ABS equipped car either I believe.

dan
Dan, I've seen numerous mention of flushing the ABS Unit,...as apposed to just a brake flush.....so,...seems to me that there is a separate procedure.

Brian

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
The ABS II unit has a front and rear bleed valve, but that is the last step after you flush from reservoir to caliper on each circuit. I have done several. If you have a code set sometimes a flush will allow the dealer (or the procedure listed elsewhere here) to successfully reset the unit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
The ABS II unit has a front and rear bleed valve, but that is the last step after you flush from reservoir to caliper on each circuit. I have done several. If you have a code set sometimes a flush will allow the dealer (or the procedure listed elsewhere here) to successfully reset the unit.
John, any idea where the procedure is?...................I've not found it....People keep telling me its here but no one has been able to point me to it. Several points to something related,...but no point to the actual step by step procedure.

·
Registered
467 Posts
wildwestrider said:
OK, .....getting references to archives that talk about using speed bleeders and that flushing the ABS is a great thing to do....and a very brief mention from David Spargue about using a syringe to backflush brake fluid through the "Control Circuit" (Is that the ABS UNIT).....but have yet to find anything that talks specifically about flushing the ABS Unit.

Has anyone actually flushed an ABS unit on a non-integrated, non-servo 2000 LT??

If so, could you possibly post a step by step procedure on what tools (syringes??) are needed and how this is done.

If someone will post clear step by step instructions on how this is done , I will do it AND take pictures for a possible Hall of Wisdom archive.

Seems to me that if this procedure that costs nothing more than some time and the cost of a bottle of Dot 4, and has the potential to save everyone with an indication of ABS unit failure....that does it $3000...........that it should be a well documented procedure.

Get me started and I will take the pics and lets see if we can's get a clear DIY tutorial put together.

Brian in Austin
Brian,
One of the reasons you probably don't see any information on non integrated ABS flush bleeding is because there isn't anything special about it. Fluid in the reservior, open the bleeder screw and flush.

Dan Martin is correct in that the fluid travels through the ABS unit and down to the calipers. However, there are two bleeder screws on the ABS unit. One for the front and one for the rear. Bleed those first until you get clear fluid and then do the calipers. (I bled the calipers first and then went to the ABS unit and was rather surprised at the amount of "garbage" that came out even though the caliper fluid was already flushed clear.)

Tips:

1. Take your time it isn't difficult.

2. Remember that brake fluid kills paint. Keep things covered up.

3. Keep the reserviors full so that you don't take in any air. If you do, just bleed it out. Takes a little longer is all. No harm done.

4. You don't have to remove the handlebar covers to level the reserviors (as stated in the manual) If you turn the bars full left for the front brake reservior it makes it level enough to get the job done. (See 1 and 2 above)

5. If you remove enough body work to get the left and right side battery covers off, the ABS unit and the rear brake reservior are in the open making it much easier to access those parts.

The tips above are under the assumption that you have bled brakes before and understand the basics. I guess if you have more questions just ask.

Good Luck. It's easier than it looks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Flushing from reservoir to caliper does not flush the abs unit, so despite annual flushes done in my garage, my abs unit on my 2001 failed after about five years. My mechanic and I both surmised the failure probably happened because I rarely, if at all, engaged my abs which would have cycled some of that brake fluid out of the abs unit. In my case, I probably had the same fluid sitting in the unit for nearly five years absorbing moisture.

There are bleed valves on the abs unit, but it is labor intensive to take things apart and actually use them. I've been advised to bleed from reservoir to caliper first, then ride...and deliberately engage the abs a few times (both front and rear), then flush again from reservoir to caliper. That will force relatively fresh brake fluid through your system. It would certainly be better than not flushing the abs unit at all.

Regards,

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
No there has been no write up as it it not a special procedure. If you have done a brake bleed on a conventional automotive unit it is the same thing. Pump the pedal and hold, open the valve, when the pedal bottoms out close the valve and release the pedal, repeat. The only additional step is the two nipples on the ABS unit which are done LAST after you have done the calipers. If you have never done a car, find some one who has to help you. The newer Integral system is a bit more complex, but yours is a simple system with no "control" circuit.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
pdrstraw said:
Flushing from reservoir to caliper does not flush the abs unit, so despite annual flushes done in my garage, my abs unit on my 2001 failed after about five years. My mechanic and I both surmised the failure probably happened because I rarely, if at all, engaged my abs which would have cycled some of that brake fluid out of the abs unit. In my case, I probably had the same fluid sitting in the unit for nearly five years absorbing moisture.

There are bleed valves on the abs unit, but it is labor intensive to take things apart and actually use them. I've been advised to bleed from reservoir to caliper first, then ride...and deliberately engage the abs a few times (both front and rear), then flush again from reservoir to caliper. That will force relatively fresh brake fluid through your system. It would certainly be better than not flushing the abs unit at all.

Regards,
True but ONLY for the Integral System. The 99 & 00 use a simple one circuit ABS unit with one bleed vale for the front and one for the rear. I have done several flushes on both systems.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
pdrstraw said:

Regards,
True but ONLY for the Integral System. The 99 & 00 use a simple one circuit ABS unit with one bleed vale for the front and one for the rear. I have done several flushes on both systems.

If you have the Integral system your method will not work as the fluid from the reservoir never makes it to the calipers. They are two seperate circuits each for both front and rear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK............so As you all can see.........even those that are in the know have different opinions on how to do this in order to ensure that debris is flushed out of the ABS unit.

I have seen suggestions for just cracking a nipple and let it drip, cracking a nipple and bleeding by pumping the brake lever, cracking a nipple and using a vacuum tool, and cracking a nipple and using speed bleeders, (any preference?) and this is just for the wheel circuits.......

So, assuming that I use a vacuum tool, when I get to the ABS unit.....would I just do the usual and place the vacuum line on the ABS nipples (one at a time of course).

BTW,

I have had a master cylinder FAIL due to using the brake lever to pump fluid through the front wheel circuit on an older R1100RT.....overstroking the seal in the master cylinder by pumping it past the existing wear pattern in the bore...can and frequently will cause failure of the master cylinder via tearing of the seal around the plunger..

Brian

·
Registered
320 Posts
Brian,

Obviously, you and I are in the same predicament. I've had my ABS system reset twice and only 275 miles since the last reset, the lights are flashing again. If you have success with a way to bleed and flush the control unit please let me know. I was blown away by the quoted price of the repair.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
The only thing the bleed nipples give you is the high point to extract air. The bulk of the flush will be through the calipers. Push or suck its your choice but the bulk will be through the calipers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts