BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad to say but 4 months is unbearable
Back in spring I converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My toy worked well for a while and then gave out (my computer that is). After buying a new battery I found out through more trouble-shooting that the internal battery was the culprit. So trying to pinch a few pennies I decided to perform the operation on my own. I succeeded in the replacement but not in the rebooting.

Well I waited as long as I could for the back to school sales (to pinch a couple more dimes this time) before aquiring a new machine. Only now I could not sign in on my account. Had to contact the Adm. So now here I am.

Update: not much riding this summer, a couple rides but no long trips. Although I was car-bound for thousands of miles for graduations, birthdays, pickup and drop off grand-kids and oh yes sadly one home going. So I ran the gamet. Wish it was all done on the bike wold have been even enjoyable.

ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
695 Posts
So do you feel that Windows 10 was the culprit for the battery failure? I updated from Win7 to Win10 earlier this summer and have been generally pleased. Coincidently, I had to replace the laptop battery just a few days ago and it seems all is well again. Unrelated to the battery failure, I think, is that iTunes does not recognize my iPhone.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do you feel that Windows 10 was the culprit for the battery failure? I updated from Win7 to Win10 earlier this summer and have been generally pleased. Coincidently, I had to replace the laptop battery just a few days ago and it seems all is well again. Unrelated to the battery failure, I think, is that iTunes does not recognize my iPhone.
No I wouldn't say so.

My laptop was an '09 running win 7 after an upgrade from vista. As I recalled back in 2011 or '12 I did replace the external battery. Which promtted me to buy the second external one this time around before finding out that the 'CMOS' battery needed replacing. I was not a happy camper being without a keyboard at my fingertips to do my research and educafy myself. I know now from the web machine that those batteries have a 6-7 year expectancy. Getting to it's location on the motherboard was the only culprit.

I did notice the brightness of the Windows 10 logo on the home screen so one of the things I did in settings was tone down the brightness (if it would save the battery). I think I am getting longer periods when I am not plugged up, haven't timed it but it sure seems so. :)

ride safe :bmw:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts