BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, been a while since I've posted and even longer since I've been in the saddle, probably 8 to 10 months. Anyway I've got the beast out of moth balls and plan to put some miles on her so today I replaced the battery and fired the bike up and the ABS lights are flashing. As I recall they are supposed to stop flash after a few seconds, but they aren't. Should I try riding it around the block and see what happens? I don't want to be unsafe, but it would be a hassle to have to drag the bike to the dealer. It does need an annual service although I probably have put 3000 miles on since the last one.

Any thoughts?
Pete
2001 LT
Black of course.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Welcome back. First try putting about a tablespoon of DOT4 in the brake fluid reservoirs(under the seat, right rear). That usually takes care of the flashing.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that assuming there is no fluid there now or does it just increase the volume a bit?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Hey Doc, Your bike is a '01 and adding fluid won't fix anything. DAMHIK. Anyway, you're good to ride with the ABS lights flashing, you just won't have ABS. I'll bet you're gonna have to take a trip to the dealer to get the ABS reset.

There is also a way to reset them yourself as someone just found out, but I'll be darned if I can find the post. :(

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember something about resetting the ABS, but I thought it had to do with disconnecting the battery, which I just did.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check the fluid in the AM. I certainly should do that anyway. Does anyone know if the 2001 model is similar to the 2000 or the 2002? I am finding posts about grounding pin 21 on 2000 models to reset the ABS and other strategies that work on the 2002 model, but nothing for the 2001 model.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
Welcome back Doc, You asked "should I ride around the block?" If you have not driven the bike you did not complete the "roll test" on the ABS. The lights will flash until you have done that (fast at first then slow). They should go out after a roll of several feet. Also some of the 01's had the integral brakes so if you have "BMW" instead of "brembo" on the calipers and the lights don't go out, then try adding a bit of fluid to both the chambers in the rear reservoir.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 2000 ABS lights will flash after start up until I ride several feet, then they go out. There was one ocasion where I left the bike idle for several mins before taking off, then they didn't go off, just kept flashing. At my destination, 3mi, and after a stop and restart of the motor, all seemed to be ok again. Never a problem since, several months and rides have passed. Good luck.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The ride for several feet is needed first. But if you find they stay on look at the flash sequence. Both lights at once or alternate. Check battery as well as fluid. If battery is weak brake lights will flash as well.

This is all coming from a 2000 experience so 2001 may be different.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Just as an FYI, the ABS lights will go out when you roll off even if there is NO fluid in the rear resivior. How do I know? My bike is currently in the shop getting new braided brake lines after I lost the rear brakes two weeks ago. The rear resivior was empty, but the ABS check completed as it was supposed to when I rode it to the dealer yesterday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same problem twice on my 2002 lt. There are "2" resevoirs under the sear. You have to remove the one side cover to get to the back resevoir which are in the same white plastic bottle. The fluid lowers with use. When it drops below a certain level the brake flashing lights activate. The rear of the 2 resevoirs was the guilty party for me. A small shot of DOT 4 brake fluid is needed. A check easy fix to try first!! Good luck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
Steve_R said:
Just as an FYI, the ABS lights will go out when you roll off even if there is NO fluid in the rear resivior. How do I know? My bike is currently in the shop getting new braided brake lines after I lost the rear brakes two weeks ago. The rear resivior was empty, but the ABS check completed as it was supposed to when I rode it to the dealer yesterday.
What is it with you and rear brakes, Steve? Have you got the integral ABS on that 01 or the ABS II?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a followup. Put a new battery and took the old beauty for a ride. The brake light went out, the static on the speakers cleared up and I had a very nice ride.
Great to be back in the saddle.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
jzeiler said:
What is it with you and rear brakes, Steve? Have you got the integral ABS on that 01 or the ABS II?
Busted the rear brake line from the output of the master cylinder to the rear disk. All fixed now, Speiglers all the way around. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts