BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Been A Pleasure

3K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  quickbeemer 
#1 ·
Well gentlemen, I`ve decide to make a U-turn and continue on my path down an old familiar road. I`ve traded the LT in on an `07` Road Glide. The LT is an awesome machine. The biker community here in Fort Myers of which I`ve been a part of for years is predominately HD. This includes my wife. I was a rebel for quite some time, however, I decided to return on my own accord by selecting the bike that I`d had my eye on for quite sometime. I`ve learned many valuable pieces of information here and have been entertained at the same time. You gentlemen take care and I`ll see you on the road. Ride safe. Peace. :cool:

#2 ·
Tom,

All the best to you. Please drop in from time to time to say "hi." I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see some pics of your new "Glide."

Tony

#5 ·
cccpastorjack said:
Aaaah..if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all! Just different colors or chrome! :histerica
We were talking about his new Harley, Jack, not the BMW. :stir: :stir: :stir:

#8 ·
LT Road Glide

I did the exact same thing.05 LT for my new 07 FLTR.What a fabulous new ride.Did give up some braking and a few other capabilities,but the Roadglide fits me,no more hip or knee pain,and yes I do sell HD's for a living,used to work at the Naples,Fl store.Have owned 6 BMW's and only 3 HD's,the HD's just plain fit better and I will put 12-15K miles on my new one this year.It is nice to have an unlimited supply of acc. available,and one heck of a dealer network.

#9 ·
To each his own,

To each his own, I say.
You know what's best for you.

Do check in from time to time. This SITE is entertaining!!!!

Ride safe! :bmw:

Vern

#10 ·
CaptRich, I'm with you on the comfort perspective. For me at 6'3", 255# and a 34" inseam, my Harley Ultra has comfort all over my '05 LT. Like you, my right hip and both knees ache after slightly over one hour of riding. Nearly everyone I know replaces the seat right away on their LT, probably because the ergonomics were designed for an athletic 6', 160# man with a 30-32" inseam.

True, the LT will outperform, outhandle and outstop my 11 year old Harley, but what good is that if you can't comfortably ride the "superior" machine? I"ll be selling my '05 LT, as soon as I get it back from the 18k service, and return to riding comforts and reliability of my "old" '97 Harley.

#11 ·
"Nearly everyone I know replaces the seat right away on their LT, probably because the ergonomics were designed for an athletic 6', 160# man with a 30-32" inseam".

I never have understood anyone's thoughts like this. I'm 60 years old, 205#, 6'3" with 33" inseam with '05 and Comfort seat. 36,000 miles in 19 mos. No leg or butt problems here.
My cousin is 58 years old, appx 180# with a 28" inseam coming from a Glide to '06 LT and he complained about leg cramps but no seat problems.
Go figure!!

#12 ·
Here's part of the equation that you have to consider. Like you, I'm 61 years old, but I've been riding for 50 years, started on dirt bikes when I was 11. I rode "motors" with the San Francisco Police Department and Dirt Bikes with the same agency.

Having said that, I've come off bikes in almost every conceivable way over those 50 years. When you ride in law enforcement, you're always pushing the envelope e.g. chasing down speeders, getting involved in hot pursuits, etc. Of course, riding dirt bikes you spend a lot of time off the seat on good old terra firma.

At any rate, all those injuries experienced in my teens, twenties and thirties are coming to roost in the form of arthritis, etc. That is probably why the seating position on the LT tears me up, and I'm not the only one! It seems that the people that the stock K12LT fit, from the factory, are in the minority--All you have to do is check out the posts regarding custom seats, Highway Ottomans, J-pegs, footpeg lowing blocks, Ilium floorboards, rocker shifts, etc.

At any rate, that my $.02

#13 ·
Tom,

That's a darn classy exit speech, bravo! I commend you on following your heart. And if it makes your wife happier, what's the problem? :)

Please stop back and post pics of the new ride. There's nothing prettier than a Harley. They're not my cup-of-tea, but so what? We are talking about YOU here, now aren't we? ;) Ride safe, and enjoy!

#14 ·
Well, so far so good. I`m extremely happy with the new purchase. Of course as with any Harley their is the initial accessorizing to reach the proper comfort zone. In my case different bars, highway pegs and a back rest. Another situation arose of a more serious consequence however. It appears that the `07` Harleys are running hot because of a lean condition which has manifested itself. The reason being is that the new EPA regs have made it tough on the MoCo`s R & D in making the new 96'' air cooled motor pass these regulations. In inquiring about the excessive heat I was told that they run hotter because of the larger displacement. Then the dealership went on to talk about the bikes heat management system where as initially the spark plugs fire every other time and if this doesn`t do it the next thing to happen is the rear cylinder shuts down and last but not least the entire motor is shut down by the computer system with out any damage to the engine. What a bunch of BS for a motor that ain`t right. HD won`t touch`em because their hands are tied. My mechanic of many years installed an FI2000 EFI module giving the engine the fuel it needs along with an Arlen Ness air flow kit. Now I`m running as cool as the other side of the pillow. That being said, how devoted does HD think we are as customers when I have to invest an additional $500.00 to make the engine run smooth and cool as it should. I see a liquid cooled engine on the horizon and the Harley faithful is just going to have to live with it. :cool:

#15 ·
My .$02 worth

1. Sounds like someone broke down to peer pressure.

2. Rode a Harley at work for 5 years. I had back problems and elbow problems. All gone since we have gone to BMWs, that was 5 years ago.

3. 60 years old, man, you guys are old. You sure you do not start riding horses? First? :)

4. The Harley cops bikes are also burning up clutches on the new motor. The up graded the motor, but not the clutch. Go figure. :)

#16 ·
That's a hoot!

motorman587 said:
1. Sounds like someone broke down to peer pressure.
You should talk! That's all YOU do is cave to peer pressure. Every moment of every day. You and 90% of your peers (other motorcops) constantly follow each other's lead. We hear about it in every post you type. Points 1, 2, and 4 or your post is all about you and your peers. Why don't you try taking your "motor hat" off for a change? Just for a second! Give us a break! Then again, you are motorman587. Funny how few other forum members use their occupation as part of their nickname. Peer pressure? Yea...you know all about it John. Without peer pressure I have to wonder if you'd know how to act at all.

#17 ·
BeamerT said:
Well, so far so good. I`m extremely happy with the new purchase. Of course as with any Harley their is the initial accessorizing to reach the proper comfort zone. In my case different bars, highway pegs and a back rest. Another situation arose of a more serious consequence however. It appears that the `07` Harleys are running hot because of a lean condition which has manifested itself. The reason being is that the new EPA regs have made it tough on the MoCo`s R & D in making the new 96'' air cooled motor pass these regulations. In inquiring about the excessive heat I was told that they run hotter because of the larger displacement. Then the dealership went on to talk about the bikes heat management system where as initially the spark plugs fire every other time and if this doesn`t do it the next thing to happen is the rear cylinder shuts down and last but not least the entire motor is shut down by the computer system with out any damage to the engine. What a bunch of BS for a motor that ain`t right. HD won`t touch`em because their hands are tied. My mechanic of many years installed an FI2000 EFI module giving the engine the fuel it needs along with an Arlen Ness air flow kit. Now I`m running as cool as the other side of the pillow. That being said, how devoted does HD think we are as customers when I have to invest an additional $500.00 to make the engine run smooth and cool as it should. I see a liquid cooled engine on the horizon and the Harley faithful is just going to have to live with it. :cool:
Tom, thanks for letting us know how it's working out for you. Pity about the extra $500, but if that's what it took to get the engine to run the way you want it to it's money well spent, IMHO. Can you post pics? I always like to see how folks have set up their bikes.

#18 ·
messenger13 said:
You should talk! That's all YOU do is cave to peer pressure. Every moment of every day. You and 90% of your peers (other motorcops) constantly follow each other's lead. We hear about it in every post you type. Points 1, 2, and 4 or your post is all about you and your peers. Why don't you try taking your "motor hat" off for a change? Just for a second! Give us a break! Then again, you are motorman587. Funny how few other forum members use their occupation as part of their nickname. Peer pressure? Yea...you know all about it John. Without peer pressure I have to wonder if you'd know how to act at all.

I'll pretend you didn't make that statement! But then, I am sure there aren't that many "actively pastoring" pastors on this site so peer pressure isn't my rationale.

BTW...what gives with the nickname "MESSENGER13"??? Oh yeah...I forgot, "He's talking and he can't shut up!" :histerica

#19 ·
cccpastorjack said:
I'll pretend you didn't make that statement! But then, I am sure there aren't that many "actively pastoring" pastors on this site so peer pressure isn't my rationale.
Nor do you preach at us every given second. It would have the same impact, IMO. You are obviously able to come to this forum and talk about motorcycles without acting like a Pastor in each post. Some LEOs seem to have a much harder time disconnecting the two. Some do it very well.

cccpastorjack said:
BTW...what gives with the nickname "MESSENGER13"???
I'm a messenger, and "13" is my favorite number. It's a number a mystery. Bad luck? . . . don't believe in it. ;)

So I'm a messenger of mystery. What's the mystery? I'll only share that in person. :)

So now you know. FWIW, I have been going by 'messenger13' for almost 15 years now.

#20 ·
Hey Tom

It is your life to live and your choice to ride whatever you prefer,
I've enjoyed your post's and stories from time to time, to me, you've been "entertaining"
I wish you "many" safe miles on your new bike.
I for one am not going to be a hypocryte and treat you any different,

You see I've been on the other side of this "situation"
I was a "diehard" Harley guy for many years even rode with a local club etc. etc.
I picked up an old used airhead Beemer to fix up and sell and started riding it,
the more I rode it the better I liked it and before long I was going to BMW rallies
and riding all over the US,
my HD "buddies" some whom I had known and had been working on their bikes for over 20 years treated me like I had gone queer, I couldn't believe it!

Over time I realized that "these guys (and girls) never really were my friends
and I stopped "hanging out" going to the parties, poker runs, bars etc
opting instead to "just go for a ride" by myself,
come to think of it I was doing that when I was riding the HD's also.
By now I'm on BMW # 6 and have no regrets.
Ride safe, it's your life, your ride and your choice.:beer:

#21 ·
My sig. says "Four Wheels Good, Two Wheels Better" (my apologies to Mr. Orwell). I don't care what you ride; I believe that many that are interested enough to be part of this site are beyond that "label purchase" anyhow. (A different breed than the 'typical' Harley driver).

Congrats on the new ride - if that's what fits you best for your riding needs, be it short cruises around town, long tours, or just feeling like part of the group with all their Harleys, then "Cheers to you"!

Just have fun, and keep the shiney side up! Time for a group hug? :)

#22 ·
Good Luck with the new ride. As along time F'lat't. Myers resident I know what you mean. I ride my LT out of town to the state border and nearest mountains when I want to ride. See you around.
WANDRR

#23 ·
If I'm just going for a local putt, I take the sportster. If I'm expecting rain/bad weather, or going any distance, it's the LT. Sportster engine is still warm from a ride into town (8 mi.). On a Farm/Market road, wraparound safety glasses, T-shirt, soft hat. No feeling like it.

If I had to give one of them up, I'd keep the LT. It's just in a class by itself.

The HD mystique is alive and well in me, but my head and body say LT when it's time for serious riding.

Enjoy the ride :)

#24 ·
New Road Glide

To BeemerT: Did your H-D dealer download the "new" engine map into your Glide before you did all the other work on it? There were quite a few complaints of heat problems and the factory developed a somewhat "richer' map for the 96 inch engines. To put you at ease, there is also a new clutch cable this year on the line and it DOES stretch out rather quickly at first. Make sure and stay on top of cable adjustments and if you haven't done so make sure to adjust the clutch hub screw after the initial break-in period. Do NOT use any type of graphite based oil to lub the clutch cable. Hope you enjoy the bike, it's the best one they offer right now. Rick H.

#25 ·
The re-mapping that HD offers has to do with idle and initial takeoff. Does not affect overall performance or operating temperature. The EFI tuner smoothed out the power band, cooled the engine off drastically and gave me some extra ponies to boot. Still not as quick as the LT however. The FLTR is a nice solid tourer. It`s definitely a keeper.

#26 ·
I'll bet it takes a lot longer to clean those love bugs off both you and the bike! The LT is definately a drier, cleaner, cooler, faster, more comfortable easier to clean bike. But, I understand the need to go thump in the night. Any ride under 400 miles is fun on a HOG. That's why I have both!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.