BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Becker Autosound is still in business? I have sent 2 emails to them and called them and didn't get an answer. I would like to get my radio fixed and keep the stock look to the bike.

Marty

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Just had mine fixed early this month. Total turn-around was about 2 weeks. Kind of expensive, but it keeps the factory controls, which I like.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
The radio for my '05 is currently there - scheduled to ship back to me tomorrow after having the system board replaced. Never bothered with the email route - just picked up the phone and called them....

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Is it just me, or do the 2005 models seem to have a LOT of radio failures due to the main board? 2005 was the 1st year for the new dash. I don't see how that alone would cause problems.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lee510 said:
Is it just me, or do the 2005 models seem to have a LOT of radio failures due to the main board? 2005 was the 1st year for the new dash. I don't see how that alone would cause problems.

Working on my forth radio in an 05. First one and third were due board failure. The second one was cause by a pesty tropical storm called LEE which cause water to get inside the radio. Lee510 you didn't have anything to with that did you?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
These radios are getting old. I am sure in 7 years the GTL radios will be breaking down. They are exposed to the elements as much as we try to avoid them. Rain, sun, wind, Lee,s riding.

Come up with a radio that lasts forever and the company does not make any money on repairs.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
jwb4207 said:
The second one was cause by a pesty tropical storm called LEE which cause water to get inside the radio. Lee510 you didn't have anything to with that did you?
Not that I remember, but you just never know! :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
sheldan2 said:
These radios are getting old. I am sure in 7 years the GTL radios will be breaking down. They are exposed to the elements as much as we try to avoid them. Rain, sun, wind, Lee,s riding.

Come up with a radio that lasts forever and the company does not make any money on repairs.
You're probably right about the age of the radios. How could my riding style make it fail? :confused: I don't ride fast enough to push water that far up in it's innards. :) My '05 only had 13,000 miles on it when I bought it in Dec. 2010 and the original owner lived in Denver, CO and New Hampshire and I don't think he rode it much in the cold. When Dave and I took it apart, there was no evidence of moisture ever having gotten in, rust, discoloration, etc. I asked the person at Becker what made them fail and he said it was just the mainboard failing. He didn't say they were faulty, but he didn't blame it on anything else.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My 2005 radio went out, I have an older one I want to send out for repairs, are there any difference in the radio's from 99-04 to 05 and newer.

I see different part numbers from the A&S microfiche so I'm asking if there a difference between them or can I use either.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for the link, using the search it's hard to come up with the right wording.

Thanks Again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts