BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been covered here before, but a forum search didn't turn it up for me. So here goes...

Does anyone know for sure how the BC reset for the two MPG readings works? When I reset mine I get 36 MPG first. If I reset a second or third time I can get it down to 16 MPG, but I can't get it to reset to 0. Is this a feature or is something wrong with my computer?

I found another interesting thing two nights ago with the BC. I pulled out of the gas station and realized that I had forgot to reset the BC so I reset it while moving maybe 20 MPH. Instead of going to 36 or 16, the readout when to 200 MPG and then started acting almost like an instantaneous read-out rather than an average. It quickly cam down to around 50 MPG, but then would quickly jump up and down as I rolled on and off the throttle. It gradually settled out with distance.

Since the rider's manual is pathetic in its description of how the BC works, can anyone here clue me in?

Voyager

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
you need your software updated. Happened to me as well. Took about 5 minutes at the dealer to fix it.

F

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Florian said:
you need your software updated. Happened to me as well. Took about 5 minutes at the dealer to fix it.

F
Is there a particular update number, version number, etc., that I need to request? I just bought the bike a month ago and the salesman had the same problem resetting the BC, but acted as though this was normal. So, I'm not sure just calling them up and asking for the software update will be enough.

Thanks,
Voyager

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Great question!! What you are getting is normal. The computer is constantly calculating the avg mpg (and speed, as well), causing what you experience. My 07 started out at 200mpg at one point, then jumped to 27, then held around 48.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
My wrench says at the reset the computer goes high, 200 mpg, and works down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What you're seeing is normal and makes sense if you think about it. The MPG is averaged since the last reset. Let's say it's been 1000 miles since you reset it, the display shows your average MPG for that 1000 mile period. Altering your throttle or shifting gears wouldn't appear to have any affect since the most recent 100 feet or so wouldn't not play a very big part in that average. Now reset it and you will see a nearly real-time version of your MPG as the average is over the very short distance you've just traveled. Hope that helps!

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
MIne is always really low, 36 - 38 mpg, no matter what the conditions are like.
I've tried to reset it, but that only does what you've described here, not redo the calculations. I've read in the forums about being able to re-define the algorithm to get the mileage as close as possible to accurate. I'd have to do a search to find that info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts