BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 K1200LT BC Mileage was working fine then notices it appeared stuck where reserve light normally comes on. Filled up and BC indicates dashes and doesn't change.
Help.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Some of the more knowledgable ones will surely chime in shortly. If it turns out that your BC is bad, let me know. I have one that I can send and if it fixes the problem you can pay me for it and if it does not, then just return it.

First let's wait and see what those in the know have to say.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
afgrava said:
2000 K1200LT BC Mileage was working fine then notices it appeared stuck where reserve light normally comes on. Filled up and BC indicates dashes and doesn't change.
Help.
Angelo, take a read thru this thread and my money is on that fuel level sensor being your problem. A keyword search using 'fuel level sensor tube' might bring up more information. Good luck with getting it fixed.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
14wntr said:
Which of course will bring you to the "canisterectomy"....

This sounds like the kids story if you give a mouse a cookie except for BMW

If you give a man a choice he will ride a motorcycle

If he chooses to ride a motorcycle it will be a BMW

If he rides a BMW he will want get off the motorcycle

If he does not want to get off he will want to go long distances

If he wants to go long distances he will want a touring BMW

If he wants a touring BMW he will want and LT

If he wants and LT he will want to Farkle the thing

If he Farkel's the thing he will want to add a GPS, heated gear plug, tank bag, BMR Pilot Shelf, extra lights, jpegs, backup back rest, custom seat, more lights, special windshield, COMM system

If he adds the GPS, heated gear plug, tank bag, BMR Pilot Shelf, extra lights, jpegs, backup back rest, custom seat, more lights, special windshield, COMM system he will be comfortable doing maintenance

If he is comfortable doing maintenance, he will want to do an oil change, flush the brakes, flush the clutch line, change the final drive fluid, change the gear box fluid.

If he changes the oil change, flush the brakes, flush the clutch line, change the final drive fluid, change the gear box fluid he will want to perform some mods

If he performs some MODS he will want to MOD the Gas cap, MOD the transmission for a weep hole.

If he performs all the MODS he will finally perform a canisterectomy

Once he performs a canisterectomy he will be ready for a new LT

Once he gets a new LT....

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went for a ride and filled the tank. Reset BC and mileage indicates normal. I'll keep all suggestions in case problem returns.
Dick, I finally figured how to post.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
afgrava said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went for a ride and filled the tank. Reset BC and mileage indicates normal. I'll keep all suggestions in case problem returns.
Dick, I finally figured how to post.
And you did good!!! BTW, you know George is selling his Bandera home? Not spending enough time in it to warrant keeping it. Boy - I'd love to have his garage out there!!

And great on the BC working right. Keep an eye on it so the gremlins don't come back!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I also experienced this after getting extremely low on fuel. The sender was stuck at the bottom and stayed there until I hit a decent bump. I find that if I refuel before getting below 25 miles to go, I have no problems.

HTH,

Ron

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
Also on the 05 and up the dash lines come up if you run below 15 miles to empty. Don't know about the earlier bikes.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Until you are sure that the problem has disappeared, you may want to use your trip set on your odometer to keep up with the miles between fill ups.

I had a similar problem with my '00 model that was caused by the fuel level sending unit tube collapsing due to vacuum being set up in the tank. That caused the float to be unable to slide all the way down and it gave an erroneously high fuel gauge reading as well as distance to empty on the BC readout.

I ran out of gas one time with the gauge reading about a quarter tank and from that point on I used my trip set as my guide for fuel range. I would start looking for a gas station at about the 200 mile mark and would be certain to fill up by about 225 miles. I didn't connect the dots between the erroneous fuel reading and the starving for gas symptoms that were frustrating me.

Both problems originated from the charcoal canister being clogged up due to someone overfilling the tank. I credit the previous owner for that since the bike had the fuel starving symptoms intermittently from the time I first got it at 26K miles. The pattern of intermittent fuel starving stalls was the symptom that caused me to take it to the dealer for repairs.

The shop foreman diagnosed the problem from my description of the symptoms easily since the clogged charcoal canister is a fairly common. That was a lesson learned the hard and expensive way since I didn't know about this forum at the time. But it would have been worse if the BMW shop hadn't picked up half the cost due to they had sold the bike to me in that condition.

Even after I got the gauge fixed I kept using the trip set as my marker for gas. It just got to be a habit. I don't remember running it low enough for the low fuel light to come on in the last 40K miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.