BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000LT that has the BC-3 comms system as pictured in a previous and still active thread:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55967

(I tried to copy the picture but messed up) I guess this means one of the POs installed the BC-3 since the 2000 came with something else.

The question:

Were there early models, ala 2000, sold without comms systems? Or is it more likely that the original system was replaced? It is working fine, but now I am curious. The owner I bought it from 2+ years ago never mentioned anything about the comms system being replaced. I don't know enough history of BMW to know if the offered different trim levels for their 2000's or if they came standard with radio and comms.

Sean

·
Registered
860 Posts
Normally, I'd let Mr. Hoswell talk trash on this subject... however, I understand he's busier than a one legged man in an azz-kickin' contest, so... But he kinda edumacated me on this stuff... I am not the expert, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last year. If I am wrong, then just tell me... I can take it.

BC3's were intro'd in very late 2004 and became readily avail in 2005. It was thought that because J&M had so much of the techno in the BC-3 unit that it made the 1 and 2 obsolete. From what I gather, dealers were repping the 1's and 2's with 3's (only because they fit) when the aforementioned took the sparkly dive...

How the BC-3 got in your 2K is a mystery, but most likely the orig equipment went TU, and the owner (1st, 2nd or ???) had a new unit put in.

I hope I understand master Hoswell's class instruction cause if I fail, I be held back a grade... and redoing 3rd grade for the 27th time is gettin' monotonous...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
They may have been put in sooner. I bought a 2002 LTE from a dealer that was traded in by I later found was a member here. According to the picture I too have a BC-3. But I also ended up up with all the documentation that had originally come with the bike (even the box for the NAV I and CB) and it's the BC-3 that was in it new.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
There were early versions of the LT that were sold without any Comm System. But even if it did have one of the BC-1 or BC-2's installed, it is very possible that the original owner may have gotten it replaced with the BC-3 under warranty. In fact, that is precisely what I did with my '00 LT after just a couple of years trying to make the BC-2 work! And what a difference it made!
Plus we also had to replace the headsets, since the ones that came with the Bike for the BC-2 would not work with the BC-3. Both the dealer and I learned this when we could not get them to work after they replaced our Comm system!

John

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I have a 2000 LT & I am the 2nd owner. My LT came with out a comm system but the previous owner had the BC3 installed from the dealer in 2000 when he bought the bike new. Now 10 + years later the factory system is dead & I installed an Autocom that works better then the BC3 ever did.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody. While I don't have problems your answers have, somewhat, calmed my OCD. :p

·
Registered
676 Posts
my 2K LT has BC3 also, came w/ manual etc.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
UncleMark said:
Normally, I'd let Mr. Hoswell talk trash on this subject... however, I understand he's busier than a one legged man in an azz-kickin' contest, so... But he kinda edumacated me on this stuff... I am not the expert, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last year. If I am wrong, then just tell me... I can take it.

BC3's were intro'd in very late 2004 and became readily avail in 2005. It was thought that because J&M had so much of the techno in the BC-3 unit that it made the 1 and 2 obsolete. From what I gather, dealers were repping the 1's and 2's with 3's (only because they fit) when the aforementioned took the sparkly dive...

How the BC-3 got in your 2K is a mystery, but most likely the orig equipment went TU, and the owner (1st, 2nd or ???) had a new unit put in.

I hope I understand master Hoswell's class instruction cause if I fail, I be held back a grade... and redoing 3rd grade for the 27th time is gettin' monotonous...

My hand is up as I have a comment to make :rolleyes:

We purchased our brand new '03 LT (made in late 03) in mid Feb of 04 and had the comm system added, it is the BC3 ;)

I personally like the BC3 system.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
My hand is up as I have a comment to make :rolleyes:

We purchased our brand new '03 LT (made in late 03) in mid Feb of 04 and had the comm system added, it is the BC3 ;)

I personally like the BC3 system.
Yea but.... You like old, worn out, crappy things. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
The early BC1 and BC2 comm systems were manufactured by a German company and never worked as advertised. If an owner complained long enough BMW did step up and replace systems that were malfunctioning with the J&M sourced BC3. I went through that process and the BC3 functions well to this day. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm the second owner of my 00 LT with the BC-3. Bike came with the manual and all for it. My RT is on its second Autocomm and the GT is soon to get one too. There are some features on the Autocomm that I like and some things about the J&M BC-3 that I like. Both are good units and the BC-3, so far, has been a very durable unit.

·
Registered
607 Posts
This seems like as good a thread as any for this question:

For the BC3 system, how hard it is to retro fit a factory CB radio and tie it in to the BC3?

I have a 2005. I have my eye on a CB from a 1999.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
It MAY be something that can be done. I have an '02 with a BC-3 and the Midland walkie talkie CB that BMW had installed. I've replaced the actual CB unit (a whole other story) so you should be ablt to do it. You'd just need to find where it connects to the back of the BC-3. If it's the handle bar mounted system, you may still be able to do it from what I've read, but it may require a call to J&M, but they are extremely helpful.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
katnapinn said:
Yea but.... You like old, worn out, crappy things. :D

LOL! :histerica , call me old skool! :D :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts