BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though the 05 LT has always been on a battery tender when sitting idle, the time has come. I tried to start it the other day and it wouldn't crank over. Living in BC I called the local BMW dealer to ask the cost of a new battery. $272.00 Wow!

I am asking; where I can get the best battery replacement and if I order it online is it fully charged?

I would also ask; If I leave it on the tender without the battery hooked up does it keep anything running, like the clock etc.?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
05 K1200 LT

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am happier with the Westco AGM battery I bought from BeemerBoneyard than I was with the previous BMW gel battery I bought from the dealer (it was cheaper, too). While the BMW battery posts are easier to work with on the LT, the Westco battery just seems like it cranks faster, and holds a better charge during a week or two of sitting idle.

The BMW battery lasted 3 years for me, and I have only had the Westco for a year, but unless it poops out next summer, I will replace it with a Westco.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Buy an el cheapo from your local bike/ lawnmower guy or a store that stocks them or online. I replaced my OEM with a generic battery costing €42 and I'm into my second year. It's still as good as new. Even if I have to change it every 2 or 3 years I'm way ahead of the game.

·
Registered
255 Posts
whichever battery you decide on you will have to make a full charge prior to installation. I would always leave a battery tender on it when not riding.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I suggest sticking with an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery. While it's easy to find cheaper units with the old wet cell setup, the corrosion and short life more than offsets the savings you might get. Yuasa and Odyssey are both high quality batteries. If you get an AGM battery it will arrive fully charged and will only discharge at five percent per month in storage. However since your LT pulls a little current even with everything off to keep the clock, radio stations, and Motronic memory alive you need to connect a charger once a month to keep the battery in good shape. Make sure you get a fully regulated charger as even a "trickle" charger will ruin a battery if it overcharges. Regulated chargers monitor the voltage in the battery and turn themselves off and on as needed. Most of them are marked as being regulated or three stage. I use a Guest brand model 2606 which I've had for probably ten years or more. It's a great unit.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The UB12220 linked to above is fully sealed. It's not AGM, but is sealed. AGM isn't the only type that solves the problem of corrosion and venting. That particular battery is commonly used in battery backups where any venting or corrosion would be catastrophic.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I just put a UB12220 from http://batteriesasap.com/ based on prior posts on the forum.

With shipping ~ $57 and arrived within 3 days ( coming from Dallas to Wichita).

Arrived about 85% charged if I had to guess. I left it on the tender over night and it topped off fine.

Terminal holes a touch small for what I think are stock bolts, but ran a drill bit through to slightly enlarge.

Haven't had but a couple of months, but no issues. However, I keep on a tender with the battery all hooked up for a quick get away when the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
453 Posts
calvarez said:
The UB12220 linked to above is fully sealed. It's not AGM, but is sealed. AGM isn't the only type that solves the problem of corrosion and venting. That particular battery is commonly used in battery backups where any venting or corrosion would be catastrophic.
I believe that if you look up the specs on the UB12220 you will find that it does indeed use sealed AGM chemistry and is remarkable similar to the high priced spread. Link below for specs.

http://www.apexbattery.com/universal-battery-ub12220-12v-22ah-battery-sealed-lead-acid-batteries-universal-battery.html

·
Registered
349 Posts
I believe that if you look up the specs on the UB12220 you will find that it does indeed use sealed AGM chemistry and is remarkable similar to the high priced spread. Link below for specs.
Interesting, AGM is usually pretty expensive to manufacture, and most of these batteries were gel-based in the past.

BTW, I've been testing out a new charger that is supposed to revive "dead" batteries and make them as good as new. So far the results are pretty impressive. I've brought back two dead batteries that wouldn't crank an engine or had trouble holding a charge. I'm doing a set of UB 12180 batteries that I had laying around. If it fixes those, that would be directly applicable to motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Or you can get a 20 a/H AGM battery at Wal*Mart for $75.00. Add acid, charge it for 2-6 hours at 1.5 amps, and it's ready to go. Similar batteries at Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone, but they are more money. Wal*Mart's battery number is ES20LBS. I bought Advance Auto Parts' battery for my 2000 LT over 2-1/2 years ago and even though the bike took a beating, the battery is still going strong.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Battery

Thanks for everyones reply. In British Columbia Canada, things are of course different in a lot of respects. I went to a battery dealer called Polar Batteries and he sold me a Panasonic battery for $68.00. He said that two local BMW dealers use these exclusively for replacement batteries so I went with it. I installed it and it works great. I had to drill the terminal holes a little bigger for the existing bolts and it worked out fine. I got the feeling that the clerk in the battery store didn't believe that I got almost 7 years battery life from the battery that came with the bike.

Cheers,
Bill
05 K1200 LT

·
Registered
407 Posts
calvarez said:
BTW, I've been testing out a new charger that is supposed to revive "dead" batteries and make them as good as new. So far the results are pretty impressive. I've brought back two dead batteries that wouldn't crank an engine or had trouble holding a charge. I'm doing a set of UB 12180 batteries that I had laying around. If it fixes those, that would be directly applicable to motorcycles.
You may be able to squeeze a bit more life out of a battery, but if it failed under normal operation, it will fail again. If the battery developed a short between cells or a loose post, it is not only a bad idea to keep using it, but may become dangerous and explode if charged too much. I have seen two people go to the hospital with acid in their eyes from messing with bad batteries. Can it be worth your eye sight for the 75.00 it costs for a new one?

As a side note, I saw Jay Leno pull up at the Rock Store here in So Cal one day on an old Triumph. When he got back on to start it and the battery blew up. Acid all over him, his bike and some other bikes around it. It was something watching him and all those bikes get hosed off by the owner of the place.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Batteries explode for many reasons, so yes, I'm comfortable using this to revive sulfated batteries.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Stupid question- why the huge discrepancy on the price for the Westco battery (UB12220). $89 at Beemerbonyard to $42 at Batterytex?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts