BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just put my bike away for the winter and I did the same routine that I did for my other bikes
1. change oil
2 stablize gas
3. remove battery.... because of where I store the bike I take the battery right out then charge it and store it at room temp until march

My question is with all the electronics on this bike (2011 rt ) will I have to restet anything other than the clock?

the manual says that the service schedule will be affected by leaving battery out and to check with the dealer???

Ps I was going to try to ride right through winter I can handle the cold but last Saturday when I went for a ride I nocticed that they already sanded the roads because of overnight ice. so I figured the heck with it I'll wait till March

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is:I don't have the option of leaving battery in the bike
so I still have the que. Does anyone know what effect leaving the battery out for 2 months will have? (ie adjusting maintenance sched etc)

·
Registered
498 Posts
This brings up another issue of storage temperature. I've never given it a second thought, but is there a lower temp limit tat would warrant removing the battery because of potential damage by low temp?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Theoretically heat kills batteries & conversely they deteriorate least and slowest when kept in cold storage - but only as long as they are not allowed to freeze.

IOW - Don't take it out of the bike unless you have to.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It probly will store some low voltage code, no big deal, it will be cleared at your next visit to your dealer. I bought my 05 RT back in may 2010, it sat for years without a battery in it, I brought it home, installed new battery and fired right up. I brought it to dealer for a recall update which involved hooking their computer up, mech said there were numerous low voltage codes he cleared, original owner tried starting with low battery many times during its 5 yrs in storage. All this did no harm to the bike, I put 4000 trouble free miles since.

·
Registered
729 Posts
twincruise said:
The problem is:I don't have the option of leaving battery in the bike
so I still have the que. Does anyone know what effect leaving the battery out for 2 months will have? (ie adjusting maintenance sched etc)
After installing the battery you should do a TPS re-learn. Key on, don't start, rotate throttle stop to stop a couple times - it's in the manual.

If you have a GS911 it will prompt you to enter the correct date/time. After that you can reset the service reminder.

If you don't have a GS911 have the dealer do it for you.

The manual, 09, recommends removing the battery during long storage periods but that's up to you. I won't loose sleep either way or argue over it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts