BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked my battery voltage with the bike running and I get 12.8 volts. Everything is fine with the bike as is. I undestand the battery is either a sealed lead acid type or a gel type. It has been replaced once since the bike was new (previos owner) and there is Exide documentation with the books. I intend to purchase a battery tender for winter, but most appear to be set for 14.4 volts cut-off. Is this too high for our type batteries ? And if so which battery tender is recommended in order to prevent long term damage from over-charging. All advice gratefully accepted.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Get a regulated or "floating" charger. My favorite is the Guest brand 2606. It puts out three levels of charging and will "float" so it will not damage your battery. The easiest thing to remember is to get a charger which is compatible with AGM batteries and you're done. The AGM and gel batteries top off at lower voltages so the chargers used with them are good for regular batteries as well. An AGM or gel battery which gets overcharged though is ruined. Your voltage regulator on the BMW will cut out at about 13.6 which is ok for any battery you'll put in it. My personal opinion is that the AGM batteries offer the best value.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dean, I'm sure you're on the money, but the brand doesn't appear to be available in Oz ac voltage (240 volt). I'll keep looking, some suggest that low current (1 amp or less) won't adversely affect the battery but I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I use a solar panel with a 12 volt regulator to keep the batteries up in the winter - in Canada you can purchase at Canadian Tire - I use a large panel about 30 inches by 12 inches

1 - 4 of 4 Posts