BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it make a difference what battery tender I putchase ? Also, Is the connector from the cable on the battery a universal connector, or is the plug Brand Exclusive ?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Technically, yes it does matter and it is dependent on what type of battery you have. Gel batteries have higher internal resistance and need higher voltage chargers than lead acid (both convention and sealed, i.e. SLA). IIRC, AGM are in between the two. They are lead-acid as well but the construction results in higher internal resistance than conventional designs.

That being said, most of the higher-end tenders have the correct charge curves for multiple battery types. Just check the recommendations from your battery vendor and the charger vendor for compatibility.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
"some electric riding gear."
The key there is "some". My vest is also SAE, but the wiring for the Battery Tender is too light to run the vest safely. On the other hand, the wiring supplied with my vest will easily handle the Battery Tender, so use caution there.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I use the $20 motorcycle tender from Walmart, comes with a quick disconnect fitting that you can use one of 2 supplied connectors, either alligator clips you can clip on to the battery, or eye connectors you can bolt to the battery connectors, and it just plugs in to the tender. the connector is insulated by rubber, so no worries about disconnecting and just putting it under the seat until you need it again.

·
Registered
476 Posts
casualemt said:
I use the $20 motorcycle tender from Walmart, comes with a quick disconnect fitting that you can use one of 2 supplied connectors, either alligator clips you can clip on to the battery, or eye connectors you can bolt to the battery connectors, and it just plugs in to the tender.
I have one of these and a battery tender junior. Both seem to work identically. I use them on my 2 motorcycles and my john deere lawn tractor. Looking at the Walmart one, I have a strong suspicion that it's made at the same factory as the Battery Tender Junior.... Having said that, I'm always on lead acid or the AGM batteries - have never tried a gel.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am using the Battery Tender Plus and still on the original BMW battery, seems to work fine.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I use the BMW charger I got with my last bike. It works great. I just plug it into the socket by my left foot. I also use it on my Vulcan 2000. I just plug it directly into the lead going to the battery.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Deltran sells a tender--specifically for gel batteries, that can also be used on other types of batteries.. Supposedly the gel needs a gentler curve for charging. About 43-45 $ at Amazon, including shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts