BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I leave leave it on the Battery Tender all the time?

I have been charging for 24 hours every several weeks, but I'm not sure that is the way to go? I have a Gel Battery. Any advice welcome...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you have the tender that's built for Gel batteries? If so, I'd say that there's no problem with leaving it on all the time.

DISCLAMER: I'm not an expert! ;)

If you don't have the one that's built for Gel, then you could be doing damage when it tries to switch over to trickle mode...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Battery Tender Plus

Lost_but_Happy said:
Do you have the tender that's built for Gel batteries? If so, I'd say that there's no problem with leaving it on all the time.

DISCLAMER: I'm not an expert! ;)

If you don't have the one that's built for Gel, then you could be doing damage when it tries to switch over to trickle mode...
If It is a Battery Tender Plus Keep it hooked up when ever your not using the bike. I'v been using then for years with no problem.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Just make sure it says for "Programed for Gel Batterys" the Del Tran guys said this is the same charger they make for BMW.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have been using a trickle charger that says it is for "all types of lead acid batteries". Is this damaging my gel battery?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what the difference is but the gel battery model is #021-0156.

Hope that helps.
Kevin

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have a Battery Tender that's so old I don't remember when I bought it. Several years ago I found a deal on Battery Tender Jr. that was too good to pass up, so I bought two of 'em. Point is, none of 'em are "gel rated". Doesn't seem to make a difference. I keep one bike on each anytime the bike is in the garage. Just anecdotal data, but the first Odyssey battery I ever bought, over 5 years ago for my Harley, was replaced last month. I actually prefer the Battery Tender Jr. because they take up less space & have longer cords. Makes reachin' the bikes easy.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
According to this link, you have the potential of damaging your gel battery. I do not believe it is a year issue as the LT in the post is a 2005 model with a gel battery and he used a lead acid charger. JM2CW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts