BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my battery and wanted to ask if I can connect a Battery Tender pigtail to it.

I would use a fused pigtail, and then I could connect a Battery Tender when needed. Also might use it to power heated vest.

I know there are other ways to do it, but wonder if this is safe for the sophisticated electronics of the BMW.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes it is safe, and you can use it to power heated gear or charge a phone with a USB/SAE adapter. For heated gear you with need to increase the amp rating of the fuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Fuse it for 15 Amps. This also make a great place to hook up your mini air compressor for flat repairs.

Reactions: Hfjeff

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, fuse your Battery Tender for 15 amps if you're using heated gear or an electric tire inflator. But, while you're down there hooking things up, you may want to consider putting a separate DC connector for your warming gear onto your battery too. That's what I did, and then I hooked it up to a port (actually two DC cables and two ports since I ride w/ a pillion) that I installed into the side panel of my RT. It looks really good, is simple to do and doesn't require any adapters hanging off of my battery tender/SAE cable. The port can be seen here: DC Coax Jack Panel Mount w/ 6in Coax Plug Cable .

They look like this:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes, as long as you don't have more than one or two extra wires and accessories connected to the battery. If more, use a power distribution module.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts