BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another battery question...

I'm going to put a new battery in my dad's LT next weekend and I want to be sure there's nothing that has to be done with the security system. The reason I mention this is because I was in Chicago BMW a few years ago and one of the techs did something when installing lights on an LT and the security system locked them out. They needed the code to unlock it but it was Saturday so they couldn't call until Monday for the code. The LT rider was from Indiana so they had to loan him a bike to get home. I just want to be sure I'm not missing something before I pull the old battery.

This is a 2006 LT.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just replaced the battery in my '05 with an Odyssey. I was worried about the same kind of thing, although i was not aware of any stories about it ( yes i can be a worrier), so I planned the disconnect and reconnect to go as quickly as possible, and I had no problems. It did strike me that the alarm seems to have a backup battery because it did chirp with no battery connected (and I started sweating) but it all worked fine.

You will need to remember to do a throttle reset of course ( very easy - turn on ignition, rotate zero to full throttle three times, turn ignition off, wait 10 secs and you're done). Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
As long as your fob is working you should have no problem......... :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,423 Posts
You should be OK. I had mine out for two weeks during a clutch job and all I had to do was cycle the FOB from arm to disarm 5 -6 times before it would work reliably and haven't had an issue since. Never had an issue when I replaced the battery. Just make sure you are disarmed when you remove the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the replies! Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something... since it's not my bike I want to be extra careful. I wish I knew what the tech did that day to lock the system out; now I'm really curious.

Thanks again!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,423 Posts
Just make a good note on the wires connected to the positve terminal. There are several, just make sure you put the same # back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts