BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about a week, my '03 LT has turned over slower than normal. It's been pretty cold here last few days (for south Florida) and yesterday it was 31 degrees when I went to go home from work. I went to start the bike, it turned over really slow about twice, then I heard the starter motor whine. I quickly took my finger of the starter button. When I pushed it again, there was nothing. No clicks, whines, nothing. What I find odd, is the things still lights up like its a full battery. She took a push start really easy, and I rode her 20 minutes to home. She would not start when I got there. I've read on older posts about volts and what to look for. this is what i've got

Ignition off = 12.2V
Ignition on = 11.8V
charger on = 14.2V

I get nothing with the charger on "start"

So I know that battery is low(shot), but does this sound like I may have a relay issue to, since she won't even take a jump?

This is my only form of transportation, so any replies, suggestions, and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The battery has been off the charger for an hour and it still reads 12.88V. Also, my fuel pump kicks on with the key in the ignition and the bike in neutral, or with it in gear, kick stand down, and clutch engaged, so I don't suspect its a switch.

Just wanted to throw that tidbit of info out there.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I suspect it is just a battery issue. If you did a load test on that battery I think you would see it will fail.

In cold temps with 20w50 oil, it isn't unusual for it to turn over slowly.....but a weak battery will usually show itself when put under a load like that.

Since you are on a 2003...that means you should have the new electronic relay that does not weld itself shut when in a low voltage situation. Those problems caused the starter to engage as soon as you turned on the key. It could still be a relay problem, but not the classic one.

Ron

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
+1 on what Ron says.
Get the battery load tested, sounds just like what happened to me, but a good hefty charge (not trickle) solved my problem. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Question:

Does the headlight go out when you hit the starter button?

Ron

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my way to get new battery now, so I'll let you know.

headlight stays on. In fact, everything lights up or sounds normal (except for the not starting part) :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Salesman at bike shop told me that he'd love to sell me a $160.00 battery, but that theres nothing wrong with mine. He load tested it and said it was fine. I'm going to let it sit on the charger all day anyways. If the starter relay goes bad, would I hear anything as I attempted to start it? Should have there been any symptoms of a relay on its last leg, that I could've noticed?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Not sure if you are having the same problem as I did or not...my headlight would light up some of the time. My symptoms were the same as yours however. I had motor oil seep into my starter which caused the brushes not to make a good ground. I could push it down a small incline and she would start everytime and she would run like a top...but you could not jump start her. I had just around 53,000 miles on my 1999 Lt when this happened. I ended up having to dismantle the bike to access the starter. I cleaned the starter throughly and she has been great ever since.

Here's the link if you want to read more... http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54124&highlight=Starter+problems

Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John Zeiler told me to wiggle the reverse switch around and VIOLA!!!! It's ALIVE!!!!!!!
Can't believe it was something so simple, but I'm grateful it was. I'm also grateful for the members here who are quick to help a bro in distress. Thank You all and have a Merry Christmas!!!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I am glad that is all it was. I was beginning to think you were going to have to buy one of those expensive relays or that you had a ground problem.

Enjoy your ride!

Ron

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm really glad for you...especially if it's your only ride. Good for you. :D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Great news, glad you got it going. JZ to the rescue (again). :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts