BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery is nearly 5 years old. I bought it from the dealer, and always keep it on the Battery Tender if bike is shut down for more than a day or two. No issues, and seems real strong. Am I lucky, or living on borrowed time?

Time for a new battery as a pre-emptive strike against disaster?

Side question: Would the attached example be considered a Ron K. Miller approved ghetto mod®? :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If it is not broken, don,t fix it.
I would buy another battery and put it in my garage for a rainy day.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I believe I see a total of 99 volts collectively there Brian, but I'm afraid the CCA would be little on the low side still with that mod!
5 years out of a battery is not anything to fuss about. Time for a new one! But I still would not go with your "ghetto mod"!

John
hallzee said:
My battery is nearly 5 years old. I bought it from the dealer, and always keep it on the Battery Tender if bike is shut down for more than a day or two. No issues, and seems real strong. Am I lucky, or living on borrowed time?

Side question: Would the attached example be considered a Ron K. Miller approved ghetto mod®? :rolleyes:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Mine was also 5 years old & always on the tender. I went out one day for a ride and click click click. Went to Batteries Plus & 30 minutes later I went for that ride. At 5 years old I would replace as you do not want it to not start 100 miles from NOwhere :rolleyes:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bought the LT used 2.5 yrs ago so I don't know how old the bat is. I bought my Rocket 6 yrs ago and the bat is still good. I swap my battery tender out between the two so neither stays on the tender. Since I only use the Rocket for local riding I think I'll see just how long that battery goes. But when I do replace the LT bat, I think I'll go buy what Triumph uses on their Rocket. hehe

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
They do fail Brian. 5 years is good, but if I was planning a trip, I think I would opt for a new one. Having said all that, I have been seeing a lot of failures on almost new batteries (Asian mfg) lately. I would opt for an Odyssey or spend the bucks and try a Shorai, MHO.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured it was time... Was just shooting a Hail Mary, and hoping a dozen guys would pipe up and tell me about 9 years of strong battery life! ha ha

·
Registered
198 Posts
As a friend of mine says..."God invented bell curves for a reason..." The average motorcycle battery life is about 4 years. But there are 3 sigma outliers on both sides.....some only last a year......some make it 8 or 9. It used to be hard to tell.

My shop here in VA has a cosmic battery tester that's much more than just a load meter. It somehow checks charging resistance on the plates, and all kinds of stuff, prints out a performance curve of your battery and tells you what % of life is left. If you know of a shop with one of these....it can pretty accurately predict remaining battery life. Great if you're planning a trip with a vintage battery.

JD

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
hallzee said:

Nope, but THIS would! ;)

The $40 Hidden Inside a 12V Battery | Wise Bread

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
So that's whats on the inside of them China batteries. :histerica

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
hallzee said:

I had a similar question a few years ago, almost 5 year old battery on a tender when not on road. The short of this, is I bought a new battery because I know I do not have the new style starter relay. So if your battery craps out quickly you might face more than an inconvenience when the battery fails.

One thing you also might keep in mind is that if your battery degrades with voltage or current you might see an ABS problem during self check and prior to a failure.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Mine's an OE with a date stamp of 6/08 on it. I'm going to trade it for an Odyssey at the four year mark. I think I'll shoot for five years on the Odyssey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts