BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my battery is draining faster than it should with bike sitting idle.

I just purchased a multi meter from Harbour Freight tool.

I decided to follow this thread for my testing

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=375743&postcount=12

As instructed with the battery disconnected I hooked up the multi meter to check draw.
and this is what I discovered...

When bike is idle, Ipod Touch 2nd generation connected the Bike draws 49.9 ma

When I disconnect the Ipod the drain is 40.0 ma or (with IPOD off)

When I disconnect small 3 wire CD plug bike draws 5.5 ma

I then went and systematically disconnected fuses. The greatest reduction from 5.5 that I was able to get was by removing the middle top fuse which reduced the draw to 3.3 ma.

When I turned on the stereo power the numbers jumped to 300+ma

soo what I am getting to is these questions

1) is 5.5 ma a heavy draw?

2) should I disconnect the Neo power ( small 3 wire CD power plug) until I am ready to ride and then disconnect when I put the bike away for the night?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was reading through my Clymer manual and found that it should be drawing 5ma with it off and locked so looks about right.I was having the same problem until I read in this forum (thank you all) that I needed to put it in the lock position. hope it all works out for you
Ron

·
Registered
989 Posts
5ma is nothing. At that rate, you are losing about 0.12Ah daily, about 1/100th of battery capacity. My guess is that this is comparable to the self-discharge rate of the battery.

I actually thought that the bike draws more, since on average my machine drops what I estimate to be half of its charge in 3-4 weeks. Even 40mA is not terrible. That is, ASSUMING a GOOD battery that still has close to its original 15-20Ah capacity.

·
Registered
171 Posts
5mA is what I'd expect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts