BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Well looks like my gel battery is getting marginal.. That little red light flickers when I start it up....

How about some suggestions on the best battery to buy for the bike and the most reasonable place to get it...

Thanks..

Bob Glassman
'03 LTC - Impala Brown

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I just purchased an oddyssey battery. it was $79.95 plus $12.50 shipping total $92.45.

Check www.BatteryWeb.com I recieved the battery in a few days charged it a few hours. I also fabricated a battery bracket for the ground post, L shaped.

This battery has no water to deal with, so it is no hassel. It is a dry battery used by the military for tanks and such where water connot be an issue. It has a 12 year life span, I have been told to expect 8 years from it. So it may be the last battery for my LT.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. Will it fit in the LT just like the stock battery does?? Or do I need to make some form of modifications?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Rolls right in the same slot as the stock battery. It is the PC 680 battery.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I have to buy a new charger also or will the BMW charger that I paid almost 80.00 for work for it to?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
any 10 amp charger will work I use my sears charger for mine. My charger will do 2 amp trickle or 10 amp charge or 50 amp start.
I am not sure I understand the thoughts about using a particular charger with particular battery. You dont change your alternator when you change batteries do you? I may be wrong, just a little cajun thinking here.
The only spec I would want with any charger is that it be automatic. so that you dont overcharge battery. Then you can use the charger to keep the battery up while you leave the bike parked for long periods.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My question pertained to the affectiveness of the BMW battery tender that supports the gel battery made by excide. It doesn't put out 10 amps.

My concern is that it wouldn't be powerful enough to support the Odessey...

·
Registered
152 Posts
rglassma said:
My question pertained to the affectiveness of the BMW battery tender that supports the gel battery made by excide. It doesn't put out 10 amps.

That doesn't mean anything. The charger delivering a half amp, amp, or 1.25 amps is fine. It just takes longer to reach full charge. Actually 10 amps would be too much for a 19 amphour battery...the battery would get too hot. Also, when it is just maintaining the battery, there is very little if any amps being used.
Jack Hawley

·
Registered
60 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
any 10 amp charger will work. I use my sears charger for mine. My charger will do 2 amp trickle or 10 amp charge or 50 amp start.
Set on 2amp, an automatic charger should not have any trouble charging the battery. But if set on 10amps, it will cook your battery even if on automatic. Normal settings should be 2 amps or below.

I am not sure I understand the thoughts about using a particular charger with particular battery.
Some batteries require a higher initial charging voltage in order to fully charge ie 14,7 volts or so. Some float chargers put out a lower voltage. The automotive charger should not have a problem. Just verify with a voltmetre while the battery is charging.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing Heated PANT LINER Review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/gerbing/p-liner.htm

·
Registered
60 Posts
rglassma said:

Surprisingly, Odyssey do recommend the use of a 10amp charger.
I use a setting of 2amps max set on automatic.

What you are looking for is a charger that puts out the right type of voltage required by the battery. Find out from the seller what that voltage is. Then look for a charger that provides that. Apparently, some batteries require higher peak voltage than others in order to properly charge.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing Heated PANT LINER Review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/gerbing/p-liner.htm
:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Look... don't screw around with your battery. Let me tell you my sad but true story from about a year and a half ago.

My battery ws showing signs of going out. First I noticed that it turned over a little slowly. Then I would notice that the abs lights would blink when the bike was running. I'd have to tun the bike off and on again to get the abs lights to go out.

I took it in to Marty's BMW (now gone) and I was told to buy a battery charger to keep it charged when I was not running the bike for a few days. I did that, but whenI did ride, I still noticed the same symptoms, especially the abs lighs blinking.

One day, the lights just kept blinking. The same service manager who charged me $85 for the battery charger was now telling me that I need a new $2200 cpu because the battery ruined it. I was pissed at a level that words could not describe.

I had no choice but to pay.

Now, I get a new battery every January.

Its a worst case scenario, but it happened to me.

Don't screw around. Get a new battery.

Maurice

·
Registered
558 Posts
My battery just did the same thing. I am planning on getting a PC680 today. It will run me a bit more but a dealer in town has them on the shelf so no wait.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
You can find more battery info in the accessory forum.

Bob

·
Registered
210 Posts
Question

rglassma said:
Hello All,

Well looks like my gel battery is getting marginal.. That little red light flickers when I start it up....

How about some suggestions on the best battery to buy for the bike and the most reasonable place to get it...

Thanks..

Bob Glassman
'03 LTC - Impala Brown
Bob,

I always see the battery light flickering when starting, and it actually stays on solid for a few seconds after starting before going out. Does this mean the battery is on the way out? I ride daily to work, but I don't have a charger. I did notice that when I purchased the bike (used, 4.8K miles from a BMW dealer) that they had a charger connected to the rear powerlet jack. When I asked them, they said it was because they demo the power center stand a lot and it was draining the battery. Hmm?

OB

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Maurice - your story has me a bit spooked here.

Just did put a new Odyssey in my lady here after cooking the bajeebies outta the flooded battery with a manual charger. Got a few starts out of it near the end - but they were slow and labored.

I'm now getting the ABS/General warning 1hz wig-wag soon after startup. But not all the time. Only if the bike has been sitting for a few hours. After going through about a half dozen start ups and short runs - the lights will stay off. No idea if it's a 'warm up' thing, maybe have some air in there someplace or if the resevoir float sensor is being cranky. Brakes appear to always be working fine. I just get my own personal Christmas display going on the way to work.

Yea - I checked the resevoir levels a couple weeks ago - rear wheel circuit was low - they're all topped up now. Topping up didn't seem to affect anything at all.

Here's hoping the MCU gods look down with mercy on the ol gal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts