BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my battery last fall with just a lead acid from the local battery dealer for about $65.00 the season was coming to the end so I just put a regular battery in it. This spring went to charge it and it had a dead short in it and the battery people do not warranty motorcycle batteries so they say.So I called my local BMW dealer that I do business with and he wanted $148.00 for a non sealed lead acid battery that he probably got it from the same battery dealer that I bought the first one from.So I got on the internet and purchased a Universal Power Sport 12 Volt Battery (UB22-12N) for roughly $75.00. Do people really pay motorcycle dealers that kind of money for things like this or is it that the dealer would rather not be bothered with selling those kind of things and if you do went to buy it from them you are going to pay for it through your teeth? So I'm I just cheap or in this case smart not to throw my money away.What are other items You do not buy from your cycle dealer?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I certainly understand your frustration with motorcycle dealers. Motorcycles are economical only when you are at a gas pump.

As far as a battery goes, I used lead-acid batteries on my '80s vintage Harleys, but wouldn't on an LT. Think about the load on your electrical system when you're driving around listening to tunes with the grip and seat heaters on. Then hit the brakes. The ABS and the brakelights are added to the load. No wonder the headlights dim slightly. A Harley just uses the battery to get started.

Most folks on this forum seem to like the Odyssey PC680 or the Panasonic LC-X1220P. Neither are cheap; both are reliable, tough.

If you'd like, a could email you a list of non-BMW parts that I use on my '03 LT. I have no choice about using generic parts, since I am 250 miles from the nearest stealer. Most of my stuff comes from auto parts stores or BeemerBoneyard.

Dave

·
Registered
628 Posts
dvx216 said:
Replaced my battery last fall with just a lead acid from the local battery dealer for about $65.00 the season was coming to the end so I just put a regular battery in it. This spring went to charge it and it had a dead short in it and the battery people do not warranty motorcycle batteries so they say.So I called my local BMW dealer that I do business with and he wanted $148.00 for a non sealed lead acid battery that he probably got it from the same battery dealer that I bought the first one from.So I got on the internet and purchased a Universal Power Sport 12 Volt Battery (UB22-12N) for roughly $75.00. Do people really pay motorcycle dealers that kind of money for things like this or is it that the dealer would rather not be bothered with selling those kind of things and if you do went to buy it from them you are going to pay for it through your teeth? So I'm I just cheap or in this case smart not to throw my money away.What are other items You do not buy from your cycle dealer?
I'm a huge fan of the Wesco at $100 delivered.... they last 3-10+ years depending on if you keep a charger on her.... hard to beet.

·
Registered
628 Posts
And yes people will drop 200+ on a BMW battery and have it installed because it has been 3 years.... I currently have one of the leftovers in one of my bikes :histerica

·
Registered
70 Posts
I purchased the PC680 for both of my bikes and is the best purchase I have made as far as batteries. I found them on the internet for $115.00 delivered.

·
Registered
431 Posts
A cheapie battery is fine. I got my last one from my local lawnmower dealer for about $50. Bike bursts into life. Even if I only get a year or two out of it (and I expect a lot more) I'm still ahead of buying from BMW.

You asked what else we might buy from an outside source - I've bought tyres, oil, spark plugs, etc. etc - in fact any consumable.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I know sooner than later that I will need a new battery, but no signs of problems with the original BMW battery. Working on the 6th year now.

I'm keeping notes.

Ultra LT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts