BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a recently purchased '05 LT, it appears that it has a propensity to drain the battery, it seems to hold a sufficient charge to start it for only 1 to 2 days after I ride it. I have done a little experimentation and I seem to get the arc (signifying load) when I attach the larger, non starter lead to the positive battery terminal (I remove all leads, and as I hook them back up I drag the negative stud against the terminal) I do have the tools and know how to check amp draw, but that will probably tell me what I already know. I have had the battery tested and they say it is fine.

Does the "big wire" have a relay that could be sticking? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My guess is your problem is simple: you need a new battery. How old is the battery? I've seen these little batteries be real strong after a good charge, but in a few days it's dead again.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Check your battery draw. It should be about .01 amps with everything off. If not then you probably have something like a Dice unit, GPS, power antennae, etc drawing power at rest. There have been some instances of mismatched radios and controller heads causing this. Most likely though it's an aftermarket accessory. Spark is normal when reattaching the terminals. If your at rest draw is .01 and it dies in three days it's time for a new battery.

·
Registered
878 Posts
.You need to make sure that the key is in the position where the handle bars are locked or you will experience what you are seeing. My 2003 LT with the BMW Gel Battery would drain the battery in 4-5 days if not left on a battery tender so your situation seems to be abnormal. I switched to an AGM type battery and can go at least a week without draining the battery.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have an '05 and didnt notice any battery drain until the Dice was installed for my iPod.
Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
You have an unusual voltage draw somewhere, probably one of the aftermarket farkels improperly installed.

I have owned my 2000 LT for 9 years and I'm on my second battery (it's over 2.5 years old). I only use a Battery Tender in the winter when the bike is parked for 3-4 months, at other times the bike sits for up to six weeks at a time and still starts with no problem. I don't park it with the steering locked, wheels straight, key off, there should be only a very small draw on the battery (clock and whatever the computer takes to stay alive). Check the cable connections to make sure they are clean and tight, that's the source of many battery issues.

Your issue is not normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with my '05 LT when I purchased it new. I found that if my radio / cd player was left on and the steering stem lock was in the "off" position and not the "locked" position, the battery would drain after 3 or 4 days. My solution is to either always turn my radio to the off postion before I turn the engine off, or always put the key into the "locked" postion when I park the bike for a few days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All,

Thanks for the feedback, I also asked the group at our monthly BMW meeting last night and the consensus is the key was not in the correct position. I am trying that now and if it doesn't work I will try some of the other recommendations.

Again, thanks to all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts