BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed some DDM HID's about a week ago but have not had a chance to ride the bike since given weather and work requires my need to transport some gear. I have owned the bike about 3 months and I have been riding it every day. This week has been the first week it has sat for more than 36 hours without being ridden since I purchased it.

I go to start the bike this morning and I get one or two turns out of the starter and that's it. The engine will not start. I check the voltage. 12.4 volts before the HID turns on, 11.4 once the light turns on. Obviously 11.4 is not enough to start. Battery came with the bike.. looks to be about 3 years old and previous owner said he got it off some 3rd party website. I was planning to replace it soon.

Previous to the HID installation there was always a small hesitation on start. I attributed this to a low CCA on the battery but never really looked into it as it is my daily driver. I put the bike on a battery tender for 3 days and I got the voltage up to 13.1v and the bike did start, but after leaving the bike off the charger overnight and then checking again showed 12.4v before HID.

Am I correct to think failing battery or should I look elsewhere? I also have the alternating ABS lights on first key turn. Having never before owned a bike with ABS it's not really a feature that I need to ride, but I should get it working eventually. I have checked and purged fluid as well as changing the ABS fuse. I have not yet done the ABS reset with the 21 pin, but it was on my list.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
sounds like battery to me, crook cell probably. mine starts up to 2 weeks being parked no tender

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
So I installed some DDM HID's about a week ago but have not had a chance to ride the bike since given weather and work requires my need to transport some gear. I have owned the bike about 3 months and I have been riding it every day. This week has been the first week it has sat for more than 36 hours without being ridden since I purchased it.

I go to start the bike this morning and I get one or two turns out of the starter and that's it. The engine will not start. I check the voltage. 12.4 volts before the HID turns on, 11.4 once the light turns on. Obviously 11.4 is not enough to start. Battery came with the bike.. looks to be about 3 years old and previous owner said he got it off some 3rd party website. I was planning to replace it soon.

Previous to the HID installation there was always a small hesitation on start. I attributed this to a low CCA on the battery but never really looked into it as it is my daily driver. I put the bike on a battery tender for 3 days and I got the voltage up to 13.1v and the bike did start, but after leaving the bike off the charger overnight and then checking again showed 12.4v before HID.

Am I correct to think failing battery or should I look elsewhere? I also have the alternating ABS lights on first key turn. Having never before owned a bike with ABS it's not really a feature that I need to ride, but I should get it working eventually. I have checked and purged fluid as well as changing the ABS fuse. I have not yet done the ABS reset with the 21 pin, but it was on my list.
From another post you did, I see that you have a 1999 model. Unless upgraded later, these have original "simple" starter-relay from factory, so you should NOT make any more starting attempt when you know battery is weak.

On these, the starter-relay contacts can weld together (with weak / low battery voltage) and you will need to act quickly and manually disconnect main wires from battery under seat. The ignition Key will have no more effect in such scenario.

There is more to battery load testing than this simple test, but you should have 12 volts (or a bit more) with ignition ON just BEFORE starting (lights and accessories are pulling some current obviously in this state).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

Sailor. Can you provide more information? I'm searching starting problems within the forum but as I'm sure you can imagine, there are quite a few and most problems come back to the battery if not fuel issues. As stated, with the bike in the on position and ready to start, the battery is showing 11.4v. This is with lights on and everything going. If i move the the key from unlocking the forks to the first click, it shows 12.4v. I tested this both with a meter on the battery and a tester connected to the accessory port on the passenger seat. My guess is a dead cell within the battery, an issue that was compounded by the addition of a higher drawer item being added (HID)

Again, this issue didn't come up until I added the HID system which does have a higher current draw than the standard bulb. Given the age of the battery and the previous owners omission that it was a cheap battery combined with information that the alternating ABS lights issue can be caused by low voltage, i felt fairly confident that the battery should be looked at eventually.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
That voltage with the key on is too low. It should be above 12.4 if you have a good battery. The fact that it was 13.1 after the tender but then shortly later with the key on 11.4. It is on its way out I am afraid. A good fully charged battery should read 12.7 with no load, and with the key on it should not drop below 12.4. It will go lower during cranking but that is normal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the replies, I will be ordering a new battery from Varta. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Very simple and inexpensive way to tell if you need a new battery.......... jump start it with a car battery and see if it acts normal.
Won't hurt it a bit and you'll know for certain if your battery is weak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts