BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
267 Posts
With my '05 RT (hex-head with canbus), I would charge the battery through the aux port, but you had to turn the key on, then turn the key off, then plug in the charger while dash lights were still on. It's in the Rider's Manual. It would keep Can-bus working until battery fully charged, then it shut off and wouldn't charge again until you repeated this process...so... yeah, it works through the aux plug way, but no, you can't maintain the battery for a whole winter season that way unless you come back and turn the bike on every few weeks.

I'm not a believer in leaving a charger plugged in all the time anyway. I always charge until full , then repeat every few weeks. The glass mat batteries hold a charge for a long time without going down if you don't have a drain on them.

I don't think the new bikes are any different in the way the Aux plugs work. My '22 GSA came with a dealer-installed, direct to battery SAE plug that hangs down by right foot peg. It has a little rubber cover. I just unplug the cover and plug in there to charge as the dealer did when I need to. My dealer puts them on any bike that sits in their showroom.

:alien:

BTW: The OP was asking about the charger in the photo. It will work great with AGM batteries. You can buy the same charger in a different case from an aftermarket vendor...at about the same price as above. I think getting the BMW branded one is preferable...just because...and it's near the same price as the non-BMW charger. GET IT!

I'd also suggest just getting a direct to battery setup. It's cheap and it's handy for charging and for plugging in a small 12V compressor to fill tires. I've used it for charging cell phones too.

Under the little triangle plastic cover on the right side of the bike (one screw to remove it on the GS), you'll find the battery in sideways. The ground can be reached by sliding the battery out a little. The positive side has a convenient post to the right of the battery as you stand looking at the under-the-triangle area (with bright red round plastic cover).
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Auto part

Hook the + side of your pigtail to that instead of the positive battery lead. Much tidier and I think also safer.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Unrelated to CAN bus - if that charger is not configured for AGM batteries (which it doesn't look like), you are likely shortening the life of the battery in the RT. More recent chargers have an AGM setting which limits the current flow to the battery which preserves the AGM's slow discharge/recharge rate. High charge rate chargers for flooded cell batteries have been known to kill AGM or gel batteries.
All of my batteries have lasted, without any faults, for more than 5 years, and would have lasted longer had I not changed them for new one, preemptively! When you travel long distance frequently, battery is one of the 2 things that I am paranoid about, and insist on it being always in perfect condition!

Reactions: Randyjaco

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
. . . .

I don't think the new bikes are any different in the way the Aux plugs work. My '22 GSA came with a dealer-installed, direct to battery SAE plug that hangs down by right foot peg. It has a little rubber cover. I just unplug the cover and plug in there to charge as the dealer did when I need to. My dealer puts them on any bike that sits in their showroom.

:alien:
RTFM! Perhaps it's different for the GSA?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
All of my batteries have lasted, without any faults, for more than 5 years, and would have lasted longer had I not changed them for new one, preemptively! When you travel long distance frequently, battery is one of the 2 things that I am paranoid about, and insist on it being always in perfect condition!
If they were AGM batteries, it's likely your charger is low current. I'm also stickler for keeping batteries in top shape which is why I use a charger that supports AGM batteries (with smart cycles) and recycled my old flooded cell chargers.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
If they were AGM batteries, it's likely your charger is low current. I'm also stickler for keeping batteries in top shape which is why I use a charger that supports AGM batteries (with smart cycles) and recycled my old flooded cell chargers.
Are you telling me that you made the statement like . . . .

Unrelated to CAN bus - if that charger is not configured for AGM batteries (which it doesn't look like), you are likely shortening the life of the battery in the RT. More recent chargers have an AGM setting which limits the current flow to the battery which preserves the AGM's slow discharge/recharge rate. High charge rate chargers for flooded cell batteries have been known to kill AGM or gel batteries.
. . . . . and hadn't bothered to look at the spec of that charger??? :) Technically knowledgeable person would have been drawn to the 1.25A (max) right off the bat, and also noted that it IS rated for Gel!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Are you telling me that you made the statement like . . . .

. . . . . and hadn't bothered to look at the spec of that charger??? :) Technically knowledgeable person would have been drawn to the 1.25A (max) right off the bat, and also noted that it IS rated for Gel!
Look buddy, just trying to be helpful. AGM battery chargers use low current ramped over a set charging time at a variable charging rate. Your charger lists it as being constant current, meaning it's not ideal for AGM batteries (which of course are different from gel batteries). Depending on the design of the charger, it could cause degradation. Please feel free to ignore my advice but in case others were following your example and risking their batteries, I wanted to at least mention the point that AGM chargers are different and worth the small $$$ in comparison to the cost of a battery. The BMW chargers detect the type of battery and adjust the cycle as needed. The one I use has a selector for which type of battery it is charging.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
FWIW

This is what BMW has provided in the 2022 R1250RT manual with regard to the battery and method of charging

Battery Design AGM
12V
16Ah

Font Material property Paper Number Document

Charging procedure with the battery connected

Font Material property Paper Publication Paper product

Charging if unable to utilize the onboard front socket (DIN receptacle)

Font Motor vehicle Handwriting Automotive tire Parallel

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
It must be intended for very old bikes then. My 07 RT had a CANbus system...
BMW implemented CANbus starting in 2005, and so the hexheads would have had CANbus right from the very first model year, 2005.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
FWIW

This is what BMW has provided in the 2022 R1250RT manual with regard to the battery and method of charging

Battery Design AGM
12V
16Ah

View attachment 180948

Charging procedure with the battery connected

View attachment 180949

Charging if unable to utilize the onboard socket (DIN receptacle)

View attachment 180950
The location of the port is specified a lot clearer in your manual than what I had in mine! Here, in your manual, it is very clear that charging can ONLY be done with the front port - that's what they mean by "dashboard". My manual should be exactly the same as yours, I guess that I should DL the latest version! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
The above was from the paper copy I received with the 2022 in April of this year.

numbered 06.2021, 2nd edition, 07 (this is listed on the lower part of the back cover)

There may be more recent versions.
Thanks! You must be a mind reader. I was going to ask you to look that up, just to make sure that when I DL the manual again, that it is the latest one.

The wordings in the older manual that I have is pretty much the same, with the exception that in the older manual they tells you to use the port that is in the "cockpit", which clearly is the front aux port. The one very important (IMHO) word missing in the older manual is "ONLY"! That would have made things clearer for me, and I wouldn't have even tried to use my charger in the rear port! Hati was the person who had clued me in, later. (Thanks Hati!)

Reactions: Fast1

·
Registered
R1200rt LC 2018
21 Posts
So if connecting the charger cable to the negative (battery)and positive post (to right of battery like in @rtwiz's post below) do you still need to use Canbus settings on charger (I've an optimate 4 and connected cable to bike this eve) or as it's connected direct to battery is normal mode ok?
I'm after getting conflicting advice (non bmw owners) so want to make I do right thing so not to damage my bike. Sorry if hijacking thread, can post in another thread if not allowed
Under the little triangle plastic cover on the right side of the bike (one screw to remove it on the GS), you'll find the battery in sideways. The ground can be reached by sliding the battery out a little. The positive side has a convenient post to the right of the battery as you stand looking at the under-the-triangle area (with bright red round plastic cover). View attachment 180926
Hook the + side of your pigtail to that instead of the positive battery lead. Much tidier and I think also safer.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
So if connecting the charger cable to the negative (battery)and positive post (to right of battery like in @rtwiz's post below) do you still need to use Canbus settings on charger (I've an optimate 4 and connected cable to bike this eve) or as it's connected direct to battery is normal mode ok?
I'm after getting conflicting advice (non bmw owners) so want to make I do right thing so not to damage my bike. Sorry if hijacking thread, can post in another thread if not allowed
With direct connection to the battery, that switch doesn't mean a thing. You can have it in either position and it should work quite fine. Ignore our conversation about the rear port not being usable for charging. THAT only applies to the new generation of RTs - 2021 and newer.

Reactions: RTDragon

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
BMW implemented CANbus starting in 2005, and so the hexheads would have had CANbus right from the very first model year, 2005.
That was my point ;)

Reactions: PadG

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is anyone familiar with this battery charger or a user of it for their new 21/22 R1250RT?

Amazon
Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer: 1.25 AMP Powersport Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs - Smart 12 Volt Automatic Float Charger - 021-0128 https://a.co/d/bPDz1dm

this particular unit is encased in a metal housing not that you will but it has been done by myself and many run over it by accident

View attachment 180915

View attachment 180916
Deltran makes a great quality battery, tender!
I have them on all my stored vehicles and motorcycles, never had an issue.
I don’t work for Deltran,
They also have a Wi-Fi monitoring device for their tenders

41 - 56 of 56 Posts